37

After about an hour of silent puzzling, Books groaned and put his pencil down.
"I'm calling it a day. Let's eat."
"Did anyone even make dinner?"
Freak asked as he stretched and stood up.
"I think Narcolepse ran off a while ago, so maybe."
Jasper raised his head and looked over at the empty space where the teal eyed brunet was once sitting. He hadn't even noticed. They left and Jasper stayed behind. Roderick went after them, cuddling a blanket against his cheek and murmuring to himself. After a few more minutes of staring down at the sheet in front of him and filling in some blanks, he stood and headed upstairs to clean up before dinner. On his way back down, he heard Narcolepse yelling at someone in the kitchen and thought about turning around and going back to his room. Until he realized what he was yelling about.
"Pine is the worst name! I'm telling you it doesn't fit!"
"Well, neither does Frosty, Narcolepse!"
Jasper smirked. They were trying to come up with a name for him and Narcolepse actually seemed to care about their opinions. Since when did he give a damn about Jasper? He entered the room and headed into the kitchen for food, listening to the heated debate.
"Pine is an acceptable name, I'm telling you!"
Books yelled. Narcolepse was quick to respond with,
"So is Frosty, dipshit!"
"Don't call me a dipshit!"
"Dipshit!"
Jasper heard plates and silverware rattle as someone slammed their hands on the table. Books yelled,
"Dick!"
"Ha! At least I have one!"
Narcolepse said, almost triumphantly.
"What the hell is that supposed to mean?!"
"I'm calling yours tiny. I thought you were supposed to be smart, glasses!"
Jasper snickered and nearly dropped his plate.
"What about Winter?!"
Freak suddenly shouted. An entirely new argument broke out after that, everyone talking over each other about how it sounded perfect and someone thought it was girly. Someone thought it was extremely simple and didn't fit and so on. Jasper sat through dinner listening to the arguments while he ate, laughing at the chaos and completely amused to see them all so riled over something as simple as a name. After dinner, the argument was still going and Jasper helped clean up the kitchen and dining room with Freak who even continued throwing out names. When everything was neat and tidy, he went up to bed and listened to doors slamming and opening and the boys shouting at each other up and down the hallways. He'd never had siblings. He wondered if this was what it was like.