11

Evelyn was quiet for a long time. It made Jasper angry. She said she'd answer all his questions, so why wouldn't she answer this one? Was it a lie that there was something else out there? Or what? What was she hiding?
"Evelyn, you said you'd answer my questions!"
"I know!"
She sighed and shook her head.
"Should've known you would've wanted to hear the answer to this..."
She mumbled, then glanced at Jasper, who was staring at her impatiently.
"Alright. We'll make a stop at the Golden Acorn, then I'll tell you when we hit the road again."
She said.
"Deal."
Jasper responded. Evelyn nodded. And so it was. They stopped at the casino and gas station so Evelyn could take her bathroom break. Afterward, they hit the road again and she started to speak.
"So, as I said before, there are things out there, worse than the police. They won't just lock you up and throw away the key. No, they'll study you. Experiment on you. Maybe even dissect you. And that's only one of your enemies. Scientists. Your other enemy, is a mutant collector, I guess. There's this man who controls monsters of his own creation. He sends them out after mutant children, once they hit his radar. And he has a very good way of detecting mutants in the exposed world. No one knows how he does it or why he's collecting mutants. All we know, is that he's dangerous. And mutants don't come back once the monsters have them."
"What're these... Monsters?"
"No one knows that either. Because no one who has ever seen one, comes back to tell the tale."
Jasper went pale in the face and cleared his throat, looking out the window.
"I think that's enough knowledge for one day."
Evelyn glanced at him again. She'd frightened him for sure, but he had a right to know what dangers were out there, lurking in the shadows.
"You understand now, right? Why we must get you to a safe haven?"
"Yeah..."
Evelyn reached over and squeezed his shoulder.
"I won't let the monsters get you."
"Thanks, Evelyn... That's very comforting."
The words were said in a monotone voice, making Evelyn think Jasper was being sarcastic. That made her heart wrench. Was she bad for telling him about the monsters? He wanted to know... She had to tell him. She said she'd answer his questions. She couldn't go back on that. He needed answers to get a grip on the world he was now living in. She had more that she needed to tell him, but he didn't want to hear anymore and she wasn't sure if he could handle it right away. Not with everything he'd already gone through.
"You rest now, Jasper. We'll be there soon."
"Don't have to tell me twice."
Jasper leaned his seat back and eventually drifted to sleep.