16

The driver unlocked the circular shaped front door and gestured with his arm for Jasper to enter first. Jasper walked inside and looked around. The house was as large and spacious inside as it had looked outside. But, still, it almost felt like... Home. He could smell cinnamon and a woodsy kind of scent that made him think of a forest after it rained. He felt at peace and like this was where he was meant to be. Perhaps it was.
"Take off your shoes."
Jasper jumped and looked at the driver. The hooded figure flipped on a light and revealed a bench against the wall and a cubby of shoes against the other.
"Shoes. Off."
Jasper took a seat and removed his old converse, then placed them in an empty cubby hole. The light switched off again, but not before Jasper saw a staircase directly in front of the entryway, two hallways going off to the left and right of the foot of it.
"Follow."
Jasper stood and did his best to follow the driver in the dark. They went up the stairs and down a hallway. It was a rather long one, too. Or at least it felt like one. The driver stopped at one of the doors and pushed it open, then walked in and dumped Jasper's belongings on the bed.
"You'll sleep here tonight. Tomorrow, you'll learn the ropes and meet the rest of the big happy family."
The last part didn't sound so 'big' and 'happy', considering the sarcastic tone to the other's voice.
"Sleep tight and don't let the monsters bite."
The hooded figure laughed and left Jasper to ponder on those words.
Jasper shuddered and switched on a light after the door closed. The bed was a double wide and decorated in white linen. It looked more like a luxurious hotel room than a bedroom. All it was missing was the bathroom. The bed had blue painted nightstands on either side of it. There was a desk pushed up under a window that had the white curtains drawn and the blinds closed. In the corner were two blue cushioned chairs with a glass coffee table in front of them. He found a walk in closet with two white folding doors and more than enough space to satisfy two people. Hell, someone could probably make their own room inside it. There was an obvious color scheme of white and sky blue, making Jasper feel like he might be living there, in the sky. He didn't like it. But, hopefully he could change things around in the future. Or perhaps just get another room.
Jasper dropped his things on the floor next to the bed, then dressed down to his t-shirt and boxers. He went and shut off the light, climbed into bed, then tried to sleep with the millions of things swirling through his mind. This had all happened so quickly. He still didn't have time to process it all.
He had powers. His parents kicked him out. His parents were murdered. Cops were after him. Evelyn saved him. She tells him a story about monsters and safe houses and reveals that his parents are dead and gone forever. She leaves him and tells him they probably won't be running into each other again for a very long time. He gets in the car with a stranger. The stranger takes him through a secret tunnel to the safe house. Now he's here. And he has no idea what crazy things will make his head spin in the next day. Was he missing anything? Oh, yeah. His parents were dead. And that was more painful than being kicked out of the house for being unnatural in this world. But, now was not the time to think on such things. He needed to sleep. He had no idea the things in store for him in the morning.