56

Freak went on and on. He walked Jasper through a day in his life and told him his schedule. He prayed six times a day. Three during meals and three by himself in his room. Jasper was horrified to discover that the prayers were the words used in exorcisms. Freak pulled off his shirt after doing his exercise routine and Jasper was given the sickening view of bruised skin and old scars on Freak's chest and back. It took everything he had not to scoop the boy up into his arms and hold him close. He didn't deserve this. He was just a child. Freak got a drink, then looked at Jasper. When he finished taking a drink, he said,
"I'm ok, now. I'm not being hurt."
"I know... It just sucks that there are people out there like that."
Freak shrugged.
"Not all people are terrible."
"You're a good kid, Freak."
The boy smiled. When the day came to a close, Jasper had all he needed and more. He went to his room after dinner and finished his essay on Freak, then made some tweaks to Books' essay. When he finished and was about to turn in for the night, his hand hesitated on the lamp switch. What if he woke up in the forest again? He shook his head. He shouldn't think about it. Maybe he wouldn't if he didn't think about it or let it bother him. He let out a shaky breath and switched off the light.
-
Jasper awoke to a loud thump outside his door. He gasped and his eyes snapped open, then he looked at the door. It was silent. What the hell? He turned on the light, then got up and went to the door. Should he open it? What had made that sound? What if it was bad? What if he was dreaming and was about to find himself in the forest? He pinched his arm and winced, then dropped his arms back to his sides. He was awake. Ok, here goes nothing. He opened the door.
Narcolepse had collapsed in front of his room. His eyes were moving behind his closed eyelids and his lips moved, little mumbled nonsense leaving his throat. Jasper gulped and knelt beside him, looking for any head injuries. When he found none, he let out a sigh of relief, then stood again. What was Narcolepse doing here? Especially at this time of night. Narcolepse suddenly gasped and his eyes snapped open. He stood and pushed past Jasper, going into his room and searching the desk.
"What're you-"
"Shh."
Narcolepse pulled out paper and found a pencil. He started scribbling something down, fast by the sound of the pencil scratches. Jasper watched him quietly for a few minutes, then went and sat on the bed to wait. Narcolepse straightened after a few minutes, raising the paper and scanning over it. He folded the paper and pocketed it, then looked at Jasper. Jasper looked back, then said,
"What were you doing outside my room?"
Narcolepse looked away.
"I was sleepwalking."
"Liar."
Narcolepse glared at him.
"I'm making sure your stupid ass doesn't leave the house again."
Jasper smiled.
"So you do care."
"Shut the fuck up, Frosty. I don't want to take care of you again. That's all this is."
"Just admit it. Some part of you likes me. I'm not just an irritant to you."
Narcolepse's gaze at him could've made him combust into flames.
"Oh, you're the most irritating thing about this place. You can fucking fend for yourself from now on. I'm done protecting you."
He left the room, slamming the door shut. Jasper sighed and turned off the light, trying to get back to sleep. It would be very difficult to do Narcolepse's interview...