||Chapter 29||

~In the end, I would rather be able to say I loved you too much than not enough.~

~ ALEXIS ~

"Mam, you are not-"

"Allowed, I know. But it's urgent. Please, I need to see him, right now." I clasp my hand together, pleading with the old nurse in front of me. 

She must have seen my desperation because her hard face softens when she asks. "Whom are you visiting?" 

"Xan- I mean Austin... Austin Holland." I replied.

It was 1 am, and I was in a hospital in Boston.  

My intuitions were telling me something's wrong when his phone was constantly out of range and then it was switched off. So, I called Eva to check if everything's alright, turns out my intuitions were right.

The things that I have heard, I really hoped it wasn't true.

Unfortunately, it was.

She told me that on Saturday night -- the night Xander left -- Austin suddenly collapsed and was taken into the emergency. Doctors said the new medicines didn't work and adversely affected his already weak body. They are trying their best but it is a hard recovery. They told them to wait and 'be ready'. 

That news made my heart dropped to my stomach. I met him only once and I feel so bad, I can't begin to imagine what Xander must be feeling right now.

He absolutely loves his Grandpa Austin.

When I asked about Xander, she told me he didn't move from his chair the past day. He doesn't talk, sleeps, or eat. He just sat in front of his room like a fucking mannequin.

She told me he was blaming himself for not taking care of him and I wasn't surprised. I know most people use to blame themselves for such unfortunate events of their loved ones, even though they can't do anything about it. 

After hanging up, I couldn't stop myself and ran out of the apartment. I took a cab and came here as fast as I could.

The old nurse in front of me gasps. "Are you Mr. Crawford's girl-" I cut her off again. "Girlfriend? Yes. Can I please go now?" 

Is she here to gossip? Why doesn't she understand? I need to see him!

She looks up and down at me and nods. "2nd left, down the hall." I thanked her and ran. My footsteps became slower when my eyes fell on Xander. He was sitting in front of his Grandpa's room and staring at the door, emotionlessly.

My heart broke seeing him like this, I had to bite my inner cheek to stop myself from crying.

I walk towards him and stood in front of him. "Xander," I called out his name, softly.

His scrunched face snapped at me. He frowns before gasping and poked me using his pointing finger. Almost like to check if I was real. "A-Alex?" He gulped, whispering. 

Soon, his shocked expression morphed into a sad one. "Al-Alex." He murmured again, wrapping his hands around my waist and pulls me closer. I stood between his legs as he nestles his face on my stomach. "Grandpa..." His voice broke.

"I know, I am sorry." I brush my hands through his hair just as he likes it. I know it calms him down. "I am so sorry, it took me too long to come." My own voice broke.

He pulls me into his lap, snuggles his face in my neck. He takes a few deep shaky breaths. I wrap my leg around his waist and hugs him as tight as I could. 

I was afraid if I loosen my grip, he will break apart.

His shoulder soon started shaking. "I-It's my f-fault. I should have checked on him." He choked out.