||Chapter 21||

~When you forgive you heal. And when you let go, you grow.~

~ AUBREE ~

The next day we were on our way to the hospital. Nolan was hugging me from the side, clasping my trembling hands in his strong, large ones. He was my comfort, my love, my life. I don't know what would I do without him.

"I don't know how to feel," I whisper, snuggling my face into the crook of his neck. He pulls me into his lap and holds me tight.

"You'll know when you see her." He kisses the top of my head. Last night when I told him about mom, he didn't say anything but his expression told me he didn't want me to go through the trouble of seeing her again because he knows how much I hate her. He dislikes my mom as much as I do, if not more. But seeing me confused, he told me I should go, meet her and clear my conscience. "I am right here beside you, shortcake. Always." My eyes prick with tears as I whisper, 'I know'.

.

"Love, we are here." Nolan shakes me awake. I look around me before taking a deep breath. Okay.

Holding his hands, we made it to the floor my mother was in. My lips twitched into a small smile when I saw Stella sitting with Levi, who was whispering something to her while rubbing her back. I still can't believe Levi and Stella are married.

The infamous playboy Levi fell in love with my sister at first sight, even though it was the opposite for Stella. She hated his guts. Levi followed her like a puppy for more than 3years before she started trusting him. It was so heartwarming to see their union.

"Oh, you are here she is waiting for you," Stella said, staring at me with puffy red eyes. So, she already met her.

I nod, breathing in and out for a few times, in front of her room. Nolan kisses my head. "It's gonna be okay, trust me." I smile at him gratefully before entering the room.

The room looked painfully white, the sounds of monitor beeping resonating through the walls, were pretty loud. There she was laying on the bed connected to all those tubes. She looked so... old. Her body looked like someone sucked all the blood and muscles out of her.

How did she get to this point?

I was standing near her bed not knowing whether I should call her or not. Sometime during my contemplation, she opened her eyes and saw me. Her eyes instantly filled with water as she opens her mouth to call my name. "A-Aubree-" She started heaving and coughing loudly. I panicked and hold her up while screaming for the doctors.

They ran inside along with everyone else. They did something with the monitors and checked her pulses and stuff. "What happened?" I asked the doctors when they were done. "Is she ok?"

"It's ok, it happens. We don't know how long we can hold her up like this. I am sorry." The doctor looks at me with sympathy. I shake my head and pursed my lips as no words came out of my mouth.

"We understand, doctor. Thank you." Nolan spoke for me while hugging me by his side.

"Can I... m-meet her?" I shuttered, nervously. 

What I saw inside shook me a little, to be honest. It was horrible, she looked so much in pain. 

She was in worse condition than I assumed.

"Yes, but try not to upset her much." He said and I nod.

I went back inside. She was now sitting on her bed with a meek smile on her face. "You ok, mother?" I asked.

Tears started flowing down her widened eyes as she nods rapidly. "Yes, I am more than ok, now that you are here." She says wiping her eyes with the sheet.