Chapter Forty Five

Start from the beginning

" Let me take you home."

"No I couldn't—"

"–You're not, I'm offering."

I eventually agreed, because I knew Normani would make sure we both stood there until I agreed. The drive back to my apartment was that comfortable silence that I'd always had with her. 

"Let me get Noah, then I can come up with you."

I shook my head, "No you don't have to do all that. I'll be fine." Still, I hesitated, biting my lip as I fumbled with my fingers. "Uhm goodnight I guess."

"Are you okay?"

"Aiden took me to watch Hereditary in a cemetery, I don't know why, but he loves horror and now I'm scared because I'm going to be alone because he got called in and King Paimon is going to kill me in my dreams."

"That's Freddy Kreuger." Normani replied quietly. "King Paimon wants to inhabit the body of a male host so you're good."

"Yeah but he might still possess me on his way to finding a male host so no."

She looked away, but I could tell she was laughing. "Okay,  you can stay in my guest room."

"No I can't do that to you."

"I can't stay over at your apartment either, so you're coming to my place, no questions asked. If Paimon decides to attack, he has a whole lotta people and stairs to get through before us."

"There are elevators in your building."

She held up a key fob. "Prince of Hell or not, he's not getting up to any floor without this."

I knew by that signature playful smirk on her face that she was just playing and trying to make me feel better. "I can't come inside and I'm not leaving you here alone."

"I'll be fine."

"Mani I swear I heard music coming from the closet. What if it's Duke Ellington but he's not trying to be my friend."

I narrowed my eyes, "You can't use my vulnerability against me, that's not fair."

"Then it's settled, we're going to my place."

When we got to her apartment, Normani unlocked the door and gestured for me to go in ahead of her. "I have a baby, what if he's in there and I die? You want Noah to be motherless."

"Choie's his godmother right? He'll be fine."

"So you'd really make me walk in there first and risk me getting possessed."

"Someone has to tell the story of your bravery. Here, let me take the carrier. You go ahead."

"Really Dinah Jane?"

"Fine I'll go in first."

She caught my hand just before I walked in and went ahead of me instead, "I'm kidding. Come on, let's go upstairs. I'll put Noah to bed and you can pick something to wear from my closet."

When we broke up, there were certain items of clothing that I had grudgingly parted with, one of them being the hoodie that I picked out. I was just done getting dressed when I heard Normani come into the room. 

She was changing when I came out of the closet, and I immediately turned around so I wouldn't make her uncomfortable.

"Are you okay?"

I nodded, "Yeah, are you sure you're fine with me staying over?"

"Yeah it's fine." She didn't need to, but she showed me to the guest room anyway. "You already know where everything is right?"