Chapter Forty Five

Start from the beginning

"Thank you, I brought Noah. Not for you, he's asleep and I told Louis to go out tonight so I couldn't leave him at his place."

"I'm sorry for inconveniencing you."

"It's not an inconvenience. I assume you called because either my aunt or my mother told you that I accepted the job?"

I shook my head as I zipped my jacket up further, eyes scanning the trees for a demon that logically I knew wasn't actually there.

 "No actually, I feel like you should know the truth about what happened. Naki was going to give me your letter. From what she told me, she's the reason you didn't leave when anyone else would have. But my mom took the letter and threw it in the trash. That coupled with my anger made her believe that it was too late."

Normani stopped suddenly, and I ended up walking a few steps further before I realized that she wasn't beside me anymore. When I turned around to look at her, she wore a guarded expression.

"I appreciate you telling me that and I will gladly hang out with you almost any day, but why didn't you just tell me this when you called?"

"I don't know, I guess I didn't really think about it."

"Dinah Jane..."

I rolled my eyes, "Don't use that tone with me. I'm not your child."

"No you aren't, but when you called, you made it sound serious and so I had to leave my apartment with my sleeping child. So if you don't mind, I'd rather not have to beg you to tell me why you really wanted to meet up with me."

When I still hadn't answered after a minute, she spoke again.

"Dinah Jane, the truth please?"

"Everyone keeps trying to push me to be okay with this and technically it worked out. You and I are both fine, we're happy with your lives and we've moved on. But I'm upset. Which feels stupid because what Choie and Miche did to you was far worse, but you forgave them."

"Our situations aren't even remotely the same Dinah Jane. What Choie and Miche did to me is more akin to what I did to you. Your mother was doing what mothers do and you can be as angry as you want to be, you have that right and no one can take it from you. But everyone is right. You need to make a choice between either moving on or talking to her. I'd personally recommend talking to her because now that you know, this will come out one way or another. And unless you want to spend the next year or maybe more not speaking to your mother only to realize almost too late that her mistakes couldn't erase the 29 years of unconditional love and support that she has shown you so far, then you really should talk to her as soon as you're ready to."

I sighed, "Normani you've met my mother, do you really think she'll be willing to just talk things out?"

"Yes actually I do. Whatever faults you think your mother has, she loves you. So much that she stood by your side when you came out to your family. They gave her a choice and she chose you. She may not have done it the way that she should have, but she was just trying to protect your heart. And it worked. Just like you said, you've moved on and you're happy. She'll listen."

"Why are you being so reasonable?"

"Mostly because I'm cold and I want to go back home."

I frowned, suddenly remembering that I was going to have to go back to my apartment alone. "Oh yeah, thank you for coming to talk to me."

"Toujours et pour toujours."

I frowned, "If I had known that having a baby with Louis would make you speak french I'd have asked you to do it sooner."