Running into the school, you instantly notice that the time seemed to have rolled back. Just a few minutes ago it was the end of the school day, but now the day seems fresh and the school looks as if it's just now starting.

"Y/N-Chan! I'm so glad that you're hereee!"

Yashiro calls out to you, looking very distraught. She calms down and explains to you the situation. She even tells you about the Misaki stairs, you both assume that her friend's disappearance has something to do with the rumor.

"Have you found Hanako-kun yet?"

"No, I've looked everywhere... hopefully he comes back soon."

You nod thoughtfully and smile warmly at the worried girl.

"Don't worry Nene-Chan! I'm sure we'll find your friend soon. Why don't we wait in the old girl's bathroom until Hanako appears?"

"O-okay!"

━━❃°•°❀°•°❃•━━

You and Yashiro waited in the old girl's bathroom all day, prepared to relay the mysterious disappearance of your classmate. When he does come, Yashiro wastes no time filling him in on the current situation.

"Missing? Hmm..."

"We need more than a "hmm"! You weren't around all day! Y/N and I had to wait this late for you."

"Well, I'm busy, too. Why not call the police?"

"We think that it's not just any disappearance. Nene-Chan's friend disappeared in the school, and every trace of her is gone... not even her mother knows who she is anymore." You explained.

"It might be one of the school wonder—"

"Hanako!!"

The exorcist from earlier cuts you off, sliding into the girl's bathroom. He grabs on to Hanako's shoulders and shakes him.

"Damn you! What'd you do with Yokoo and Satou from my class?!"

"H-Hang on, Calm down "

Kou ignored Yashiro's words and continued to shake Hanako until he looked dizzy. You decided to step in and calm Kou down yourself.

Grabbing the blonde boy's arm, which caused him to stop and let go of the poor apparition.

"O-Oh hello Y/N senpai! I didn't see you there..." He smiled bashfully and rubbed the back of his neck.

"Have your friends gone missing as well? Maybe our suspicions are right then..."

"In that case..." Hanako starts, fixing his collar.

"I have an idea."

━━❃°•°❀°•°❃•━━

"There are seven places in this school that connect to the spirit world. Those stairs are one of them."

"The missing students must have neem taken to the spirit world."

The spirit world... I've heard of that before. It was written on the back of a letter my grandmother sent me once. I was too young to know what that meant at the time, but hearing it again makes me feel... Calm.

"When a living human wanders into a boundary, their whole existence is erased."

"Boundaries... My brother told me about those. They are the seas between the shores of this life and the next. A world of ghosts and apparitions with nowhere to go, things everyone has forgotten."

"Only a few people can enter a boundary unharmed and unforgotten. They are called Soul connectors or Sourukonekutā, and their people are very rare."

You look down at the floor, fidgeting with the hem of your school uniform.

Sourukonekutā... I can connect with spirits and my mother and father are dead.

Maybe I'm being a bit childish, but...

"HEY!"

The abrupt yell of Kou forced you out of thought. He's pulling Yashiro away from Hanako, so you can only assume that he's protecting her from his... Unique nature.

"What is it? I was just getting to the good part."

Hanako wiggled his fingers, he tried to look innocent but that didn't stop Kou from shielding both you and Yashiro from Hanako.

"You're taking Yashiro senpai and Y/N senpai into the Boundary, right?"

"Well yeah."

"I'm coming, too! I'll protect them."

You smiled and tried to cover your giggles. You found Kou silly, but you were still thankful for his protection. Although you might not need it.

"I don't mind, but you're not my assistant, so I won't protect you."

"Hey! Y/N senpai isn't your assistant either! How come does she get special treatment?"

Hanako glided over to you, wrapping his arms around your shoulders. You instinctively hugged him back, not thinking much of it.

"Because we have a special connection. We're practically soulmates!"

You sweatdropped, looking apologetically towards the other two.

"Whatever! I don't need your protection anyway." Kou glared, pulling Hanako off of you with one arm.

"Don't cry to me when you become shredded meat."

The two continued to bicker childishly, usually, you would have been intrigued by a fight between two rivals. But too many thoughts flooded your mind at that moment...

━━❃°•°❀°•°❃•━━