xix. like father, like daughter

Start from the beginning

"All I did was try and give you the best life I could and every time you chose to put that other... family above ours. Forgive me for not being too happy about that." Christine responded, now shouting as well. Aaron stood there watching it all, not saying anything.

"The Weasley's actually care about me! You don't even write to me on my birthday! It's like you're trying to get rid of me!" Rory spat.

"Well sorry I'm not a perfect mother like that Mrs. Weasley! I'm sorry I can't give you the life you've always wanted."

Rory shook her head, the wind behind her had become more and more aggressive. "Well it's not my fault they can. I'm done putting up with you. I'm an adult. You're done making me feel guilty for being alive."

She stormed off and ran into her bedroom. She got out her wand and quickly packed anything she could and came back down the steps. Rory still wasn't feeling anything. She knew she was angry but she couldn't feel it. She could only feel her heart beating against her ribcage as she came back down the steps with all her stuff.

"You're not going to walk out on us!" Her mother yelled, "You won't!"

"Yeah, actually, I will. You're the one who said I was just like my father. Might as well make things official, then. I can't even get mad at him for leaving! I'm surprised he put up with you for the time he did." Rory spat, "I'm of age now. I don't have to stay here."

Aaron was still standing there, "Rory..." he said softly. "Rory, please..."

"So?" She said looking at him, "Are you coming or are you not?"

"I... I can't." He said looking at his mother with fear.

Rory nodded her head, "Alright then."

Without saying another word to her mother, she apparated. She felt a painful twist and contortion of her body and when she opened her eyes, she was at The Burrow. Immediately she noticed the atmosphere was off. Trunks and bags were all over the living room floor as if they were all about to leave. Realization struck her. She just left her family.

"Rory?" Mrs. Weasley said concerned, "What happened?"

"I'm not sure I just... I left." She said slowly, "I got in a fight with my mother and I left. What's going on?"

As she looked around she noticed Hermione was standing among the other family members. That was strange to Rory.

"We were going to write to you once we got there," Fred said. "I guess it's better you're here now."

"Got where?" Rory asked, still feverishly scanning the room.

"We'll explain later." Mr. Weasley sighed, "We're glad you're safe though. You'll be even safer with us."

[][][][][]

NUMBER TWELVE, GRIMMAULD PLACE. That's where the Weasley's took Rory and Hermione. Rory was overwhelmed with information almost immediately. The house belonged to Sirius Black who was not a murderer like they had all thought. He was actually a very kind man. When any of the kids asked what was happening the adults tried to dance around what was really going on. Rory knew that the Weasley parents and Sirius were members of The Order of the Phoenix, a group created by Dumbledore to fight against You-Know-Who. There were other members who used the house as a headquarters of sorts for their meetings. A few of them had been there when Rory and the Weasley's arrived. Although she was told there must be over twenty or thirty.

Mostly everyone there, Rory had never met before. A really cool woman named Nymphadora Tonks, Kingsley Shaklebolt - who intimidated Rory a bit, the real Mad-Eye Moody (it turned out the one who had been teaching them was really an escaped Death Eater in disguise... typical), and a man named Andrew Harrison, who Rory was told was a Healer at St Mungos, the wizarding hospital.