iii. baby, please come home!

THREE

"I REALLY HOPE HARRY doesn't end up getting Lupin fired like he has the rest of our Defense Against the Dark Arts teachers

"I REALLY HOPE HARRY doesn't end up getting Lupin fired like he has the rest of our Defense Against the Dark Arts teachers." Marina sighed, plopping down on a chair in the Gryffindor common room.

Rory smacked the girl's arm lightly, "That wasn't all Harry's fault. Besides, Lupin's not a nutter like the rest of them."

The school year had been going excellently. No, that was an overstatement. The threat of Sirius Black breaking into the castle and dementors roaming the school grounds wasn't ideal, but to Rory it was a bit better than students being petrified left and right. Also, Professor Lupin made up for all of it. He inspired Rory.

"Anyone who wants to spend the rest of their lives in a school and become a teacher is a nutter if you ask me," George interjected.

"Whatever." Rory rolled her eyes, slightly offended. "I like him. He's the best teacher we've ever had. With him, we're definitely all getting 'Outstanding' on our O.W.Ls."

"Speak for yourself, Rory," Fred scoffed. "You're smart."

"I study," She replied. "You two are smart, you just don't show it."

George sat down next to Rory and placed a hand on her shoulder, "Because we don't care about school. It's not useful."

"To you," She sighed. "Anyways, you two have any leftovers from Honeydukes yesterday?"

The day before was the second trip to Hogsmeade of the year. Just after her birthday, just as the snow began to fall, and right before Christmas. Three aspects that made it Rory's favourite yet. The charming little village was one of the girl's favourite parts of Hogwarts. She loved the grounds, but it felt good to take a trip with her best friends and hit up the shops. Falling right before Christmas it was a perfect time to get gifts for everybody she cared about as well.

"I've got some." Marina said, getting up. "I'll be right back."

Rory smiled looking back at George and Fred. "Can I see the map?"

The boys' mischievous smiles dropped and they gave each other a worried look. Rory furrowed her brows and leaned in with confusion. "What's that face for?"

"Rory..." Fred said slowly.

"... we sort of..." George trailed on.

"Gave it away." They said in unison.

"To Harry. He needs it more than us, really." George said.

Rory was shocked. She never thought in a million years the twins would donate their prized possession. The Marauders' Map. She understood why, she knew Harry was one to sneak around the castle and cause trouble "accidentally". However, it hurt her that she couldn't even say goodbye to it. Rory had many memories with the map, people watching was her favorite hobby. They had all the inside scoop on everything. That's how they found out the year before that Percy was in a secret love affair with Penelope Clearwater.