[Chapter 31]

Payton's POV

I woke up in the middle of the night, finding it hard to remain in a deep sleep as I laid awake with my eyes facing the ceiling. My mind was swirling with thoughts and possibilities, constantly wondering about millions of different things. But having this massive head ache didn't help whatsoever. It did more damage to think than to block everything out, but I couldn't stop myself from doing so. I was curious. Curious about the person that kidnapped me. Curious as to why he spared my life and why he looked so haunted by the memory of his mother.

I guess it never occurred to me why he was the way he was. I never thought further on why he acted or felt a certain way all the time. Maybe behind all of that hard hearted shell .... there's meaning. There's feelings, emotions, a story. But why did I suddenly care now to discover it? I didn't care at all for Harry. Not one bit. But what if he needs someone to care for him?

God I sound like a hopeless romantic. Let's not go there. No thank you. I don't need to fall for my captor and get Stockholm syndrome. That's a huge massive fat no.

I then blinked up at the ceiling as I wondered where Harry was at the moment. I then glanced to the side where he always lays, realizing he wasn't there. Hmmm. I raised my eyebrows before I pushed the covers off me slowly, throwing my legs over the bed and sliding down.

I then tip toed towards the door, careful not to make much noise before I glanced at the clock that read 2:46 am. I sighed heavily, wondering why on earth I couldn't sleep or why I was getting up. But curiosity got the best of me as I slowly grabbed the doorknob and twisted it open.

I then peaked my head out, noticing how the entire house was pitch black. I gulped hard, feeling frightened as if I was in a horror movie before I mentally told myself that everything was okay. I exhaled before I stepped out of the room, closing it quietly behind me before approaching the kitchen blindly.

I stuck my hands out in front of me, careful not to run into anything as I continued to feel the air. I didn't really know where I was going, but I wanted to figure out where Harry went. It was weird how I always woke up without him beside me. How is it that I always go to bed with him and wake up without him. What does this man even do?

I then felt my hand around a wall, hoping to find a light switch as I approached the kitchen floor. My fingers finally explored it enough until it grazed over a bump, making my eyes widen before I flipped it. Suddenly the light flickered above me, causing my eyes to squint as they tried to adjust to it.

I searched around the room, noticing no one was around before my eyes diverted towards the front door. My heart began to pound as I thought of escaping, wondering if I could get away with it since everyone seems to be asleep. But there was no sign of Harry. He must be somewhere close by. There's no way he'd risk me leaving.

I then decided to check outside as I turned off the light and approached the front door slowly, careful not to leave any evidence of me gone. I put my hands before me, feeling around for the door until I ran into it shortly after. I began to search for the knob until my fingers found it, smiling to myself as I breathed out and twisted it. The door surprisingly opened, sending chills down my body as the cold breeze greeted my face.

My hair blew just slightly behind my shoulders as I looked outside, noticing how the moonlight was shining upon the large grassy field. I was amazed at the beauty of nature as my eyes scanned around the property. I then stepped outside on the porch, closing the door slowly and quietly behind me. I wrapped my arms around my chest to keep warm as I walked closer towards the steps, feeling a sense of freedom arise in my bones.

The idea of running away came back in my head as I glanced at the open field.

Could I do it?
I don't think it could be possible.
It's just endless grass fields for who knows how many acres. What if I'm running forever and I get weak and tired? Could I die out there in the wilderness?
Would I be able to fully escape in time and call the police? Or find someone to rescue me?