[Chapter 46]

Payton's POV

"How did you- what?" I asked in disbelief, feeling my heart slowly race as I looked at him.

"I saw you Payton, on the news." He said as he looked at me with full concern and concentration.

"B- on the news? I'm not on the news." I tried to deny as I began feeling very uncomfortable.

"Yes you are. I saw you about a week ago. And I've been worried for you since. But I will admit something was off between you and Harry since the first moment I met you. I knew you didn't belong with him. It was a very odd couple." Luke said as he stared into my eyes intensely.

"I don't understand what you're talking about." I lied as I began feeling nervous. Harry wasn't here to help me with the answers to Luke's presumptions. I can't have him risk knowing can I? Didn't Harry warn me about others knowing? Specifically him?

"Payton, my dear one, there's no need to pretend anymore. There's no need to hide. You're safe with me." He said as he leaned in and placed his hand on my thigh.

I gasped as I looked down at his hand before I quickly swatted it away, watching as he looked taken back.

"I'm Harry's girlfriend Luke. You know this. Please tell me you didn't kidnap me just for some silly questions." I said confidently as he narrowed his eyebrows.

"So you're telling me, that this girl, isn't you?" Luke asked before he reached over the coffee table and grabbed a news paper before opening it up. I watched him with a rapid heart beat before he found the right page and placed it on my lap.

My eyes widened as I peered down at the papers, scanning for what he was talking about. As soon as my eyes landed on the photo of me, they instantly began watering.

I narrowed my eyebrows in confusion as I brought the paper up, finally seeing myself through the news for the first time. I began reading the story rapidly, wondering what they've concluded or are questioning about me. I tried my hardest to hold back my tears as my heart began breaking after every word I read, wishing Luke wasn't showing me this at the moment.

"This... this doesn't make any sense." I whispered before Luke sighed.

"Payton.... I'm going to ask you something, and I need you to answer me honestly. I need you to know that you can trust me." He said as he placed his hand on my arm.

I looked up at him before I nodded my head.

"Did Harry and his gang kidnap you?" Luke asked, causing my stomach to drop.

"If you tell me the truth, I'll send you straight home and have you taken care of. You'll never see them again I guarantee it. I don't take any pleasure in kidnappings. I think they're cruel. And that's coming from a criminal. But you have my word Payton. The truth will set you free." He said as I suddenly became tempted by his offer.

I swallowed the lump in my throat as I held back the desperate tears. I wanted to tell him the truth, I wanted to lay it all out in front of him since he was the first one ever to offer me help. But something was telling me not to trust him. It was telling me to trust Harry's judgement.

"Harry and his gang didn't kidnap me." I shook my head as he stared intensely into my eyes.

"Then why are you known as the missing girl from CarryBurg University?" He asked as I swallowed hard again.

I racked my brain for a solid answer as I bit my lip.
"Because I never told anyone I was dating Harry. I knew they would of thought I was crazy or reported him since he was a criminal. But no one knew Harry like I did. He was a different person with me than with anyone else. We fell madly in love and so I left everything behind and chose to live my life with him. Now everyone thinks I've been stolen or I'm dead but truth is, I just ran away. It hurts me that I can't see my family or tell them what happened, but, Harry is worth it. He makes me happy." I explained as best as I could.