The one that got away

He loved her and she loved him,oh, how they wished it was that simple.

It was three a.m, everyone was asleep and the moon was shining through her curtains. At first she wasn't thinking about him, how he's the one that got away. But as her eyes stayed opened, her mind couldn't help but to wonder. The past slowly crept around the deepest corners of her mind, the corners she kept her thoughts locked away in a deep vault so she wouldn't have to think about them again.

She laid there thinking about what they could've done differently, what she could've done differently.

She began to cry as the memories began to replay through her mind like a song she put on repeat.

The way held her hand when they were walking down the street. They way he held on tight like it was the last time he'll ever see her when they cuddled. They way he held her in her arms after she would break down and pour her whole life into his hands. They way he would love her when she didn't even love herself.

She had lost people in her life before, so this was nothing new. People can drift away too easily, can naturally grow apart. But she hoped he wouldn't. She couldn't handle him slipping away as well.

They had stayed up late at night taking about their future together. Getting married, having little children running around the house, and just living their perfect happily ever after.

She even still had the matching tattoos they got together on her eighteenth birthday. Her mind always wondered if he kept it too, but she knew he didn't. She had heard through the grapevine that he'd gotten it removed a long time ago.

She still had the records of radiohead he gave her for when he missed her. She still kept the polaroids they took together tucked away in a box. She would periodically go through them and cry.

But it was too late. He'd already found someone knew

So as she laid there staring at her ceiling, she imagined what life would be like if they didn't break up. If they had kept the promises they made to each other. Her mind drifted to and focused on one person.

Harry Styles. The one that got away.

❤Savannah