• T W O •

A/N: I think there might be a little confusion. This story is NOT set in the Middle Ages. It is modern day!
Kapeesh? Kapeesh.

SONG FOR THIS CHAPTER- HIGH HOPES by KODALINE

-

H A R R Y

"What's my father's job?" The question leaves me abruptly. I can feel my eyebrows furrowing at the rush of doubts and suspicions overflowing inside my head. For many years, I've been wanting to know everything about my biological father.

I want to know why my own father would leave me with a king and queen for almost 18 years of my life.

I want to know why I was never permitted to come along on this 'job' of his.

What is so secretive and confidential about it?

My father was never there to see me grow. Never there to let me play with my first friend, see me with my first girlfriend, watch me moon over my first kiss and get my first real job. My first job was at a bakery for fuck's sake! I would have loved to see him laugh at my pastry puns...

But that's only what I wish.

I don't understand how he thinks he can show up 18 years later and have a place in my damn heart. He doesn't know how furious I am. He thinks I fall for the shit he calls fatherly love, but really, he doesn't have a clue...

I watch King Ivan as he hesitantly clears his throat. "Harry, this kingdom is not all that innocent. Don't get me wrong, we aren't bad people either." He shifts quickly, "We like to fight for what is rightfully ours..."

"What in the world is that suppose to mean?" I ask as my eyebrows arch in confusion. King Ivan paces back and forth like he always does.

"Many many years ago, there was a gruesome battle for a large mass of land. It was the very piece of land where the ancestors of Great Britain held their heads high in the royal family. The battle was between two friends who were both kings, along with their kingdoms- Mightera and Courageous."

I nod my head slowly. It is in my prior knowledge that King Ivan is a Mighty, because I've seen history books at the castle's library all about it. I'm usually not much of a reader, but it was honestly fascinating.

"During the time of the battle, the Courageous stole a powerful potion from the kingdom of Mightera. The potion contained all the goodness and prosperity in the world. The Courageous king drank the potion, however it didn't seem to work. Instead, he died for the crime he committed; leaving his son, the prince behind. The prince wanted to know the cause of his father's death, so he went to the Brewer of the potion and demanded him for an explanation. The Brewer told him that the powers of the potion would transfer to the Kings great, great granddaughter..." There is something dark in King Ivan's eyes when he continues. "Or as the Mighties like to call her, the Fair Maiden."

"And...how is my father, Desmond Styles, related to all of this?" I ask briefly after, scratching the back of my neck.

King Ivan fixes his grey eyes on mine- which now contains a prominent, dark flicker. His glare almost seems evil to me as he attempts to smooth out his shoulder length grey hair. "The Fair Maiden has been born. Actually, it has been nearly twenty years since her sad, unwanted birth. Your father has been trying to locate the Courageous descents and has killed some of them. However, he has missed the most important member, therefore failing terribly." He states, shaking his head.

It takes me a while to process the meaning being his words. As I finally dawn on the realization, my eyes widen. "He is....he is killer." I speak slowly, feeling an unexplained anger rising inside of me. My ears begin to burn up with shame. This thought has never occurred to me; my father was doing wrong all along.