• F I F T Y - N I N E •

SONG FOR THIS CHAPTER: SOME TYPE OF LOVE by CHARLIE PUTH

All I'm going to say is get ready lmao...

***************

C A R O L I N E

"Caroline, Harry, it's time for you to leave this hellhole."

My lips quiver as I smile, my eyes starting to water with happiness. Immediately I get up to my feet and run to Melissa, pulling her into a tight embrace. "Thank you." I whisper to her and she kisses me lightly on the cheek, cupping my face. In this time, Harry rubs his eyes, still half asleep.

"What?" His sleepy voice is deep and raspy. Melissa and I glance at each other before laughing quietly.

"Oh Harry, why are you so clueless sometimes?" I sigh, shaking my head.

Melissa lets go of me so that Harry could hold my hand.

"Okay guys, let's go." She whispers, looking at us from over her shoulder as she walks in the direction of the door.

I give Harry a look of approval and removes a strand of hair from my eyes, nodding and smiling.

The three of us creep quietly out the room, Melissa soundlessly shutting the door afterwards. She leads us down an eerie narrow pathway until we descend down a set a of stone stairs. Harry holds my hand the whole time while limping, and Melissa gives him smug little 'I-told-you-so' looks every once in a while. I, on the other hand, pretend not to notice them.

My eyes are set on the small wooden door at the end of the hall as we approach it. Harry's grip on my hand tightens slightly as we near closer and closer. Once we are right in front of it, Melissa turns around and kisses both Harry and I on the heads. She holds onto me a little longer.

"I guess this is goodbye?" I ask breathlessly, tears starting to well up in my eyes. I can't believe she took so big of a risk for Harry and I. She's helped me out a lot when I was stuck here.

Melissa smiles and strokes my head lightly, shaking her head slowly. "No my child, I will see you again."

Weakly smiling, I nod my head and hug her again. "Thank you for everything."

She places her hand on my stomach and cradles my chin.

"Take care of yourself, alright?" I nod again.

"Hey how about me, mum?" Harry whines quietly, jealousy clear in his voice. Melissa laughs lightly before reaching up to ruffle his dirty hair.

"Take care of Caroline and yourself, Harry." She whispers as Harry pulls her close to his injured body, "Make me proud by proving to these damned people that nothing can tear true love apart." Harry kisses her on top of the head as she speaks.

"I will, mum, I promise." He says.

"I love you, my sweet little boy." She whispers, barely audible and that's all it takes for me to feel a trembling lump in my throat.

"I love you more, mum." He closes his bruised eyes and rests his head on top of Melissa's. I see the tears as they run down her face. There are creaky footsteps from upstairs and hearing that, Harry and Melissa break away quickly. My heartbeat quickens erratically.

"Go now, both of you!" She whisper-yells as she quickly and quietly unlocks the door. Pushing us out, she waves, "I bid you farewell!"

I wave back before looking at the grey, mossy stone case leading up to the roads- I assume that as what is at the top. Though Melissa shoos us off, Harry refuses to let go of her.