• S I X T E E N •

SONGS FOR THIS CHAPTER-
STORY OF MY LIFE by ONE DIRECTION (You'll really need it for Caroline's POV)
PHOTOGRAPH by ED SHEERAN

***********
H A R R Y

"I know you're a part of Mightera's royal family." Luke hisses smugly. It feels like my heart has skipped a beat. He knows. Shitshitshitshit. How did he find out though? I was careful enough to not leave any clues behind, and it's not like the paps ever knew about King Ivan and Queen Melissa taking me in.

My face pales and my breathing is erratic. At first, I think of acting cool about it. Pretend like I don't know what he's talking about. Laugh it off. Deny it. But it comes out a little like this- "H-How did you find out?" Luke randomly runs his fingers over the bruises on his lower arm, hissing silently in pain.

"That doesn't matter right now."He snarls. "Wait 'till King Albert finds out about this. A Mighty descendant at the Courageous kingdom? That can't be any good."

"No!" The words escape my mouth absentmindedly. "Don't tell anyone, please! I mean no harm." I lie, practically begging.

"Hmm, I still don't know..." Luke hesitates, his voice thickened with fake indecisiveness. This bastard sure knows how to blackmail, because he's doing a hell of a great job at it.

"I'll do anything." The words spill out of my mouth with such ease, willing to do anything to keep this secret safe.

"Anything, you say?" Luke raises his eyebrow in satisfaction, and I nod. I don't mean to chicken out, I'm just trying to keep this job.

And this is the only way possible.

"Hmm...what'd you say about this. If I keep my mouth shut about you being a Mighty, you won't interfere with me and Caroline anymore. You'll forever stay out of our business." Luke proposes with a mischievous smirk.

My mind goes back to Caroline- young and naïve and in need of protection. She actually found trust in me, so if I turn my back on her all of a sudden, she wouldn't be very happy. I don't want to betray the poor thing so soon, but in the end, that's exactly what's going to happen. This is all just a devious scheme anyway.

"Okay, deal." I confirm without thinking longer. King Ivan is fully counting on me to return with victory and the satisfaction of vengeance.

I can't let him down.

My skin is clammy and cold, and with every second that passes by, the guilt of betraying Caroline seeps through me. A voice at the back of my head replays a constant reminder. That I'm a sadistic, cold-hearted demon.

Luke nods in contentment and we shake on it. "Remember, the moment you come in between me and my love, your secret is out." He threatens before walking out of the arena with a smile of satisfaction on his face.

My thoughts, again, are retraced to Caroline. Sweet, innocent Caroline. She's like a child; oblivious to what's going on around her most of the time, dazed and dreaming. She's a dreamer of a girl, and that's what makes her special.

I'm left all alone in the arena, my stomach churning with nothing but guilt. I had no other choice.

I'm stuck between King Ivan- who's relying on me to bring pride to Mightera, and Caroline- an innocent, young woman held captive by her lack of freedom. She's relying on me to help her out of this, and I really do like her. I guess I am a traitor. Who am I kidding?

I'm no better than Luke is.

- - -

C A R O L I N E