• T W E N T Y - T H R E E •

SONG FOR THIS CHAPTER- LOVE YOU CRAZY by MIKKY EKKO (Put it on replay, you'll need it for the end!)

___________
C A R O L I N E

I am awaken to the feel of someone caressing my back. Tiny, intricate patterns are drawn across the skin of my shoulder blade, comforting and tempting. My eyes are still closed, but I suppress a small smile through my sleep.

Last night was the best night of my life. The adrenaline coursing through my veins was something I would never forget. I felt so infinite, so alive. I never thought Harry would have feelings for me; it all happened so suddenly. The feel of his lips moving in sync with mine- we didn't care if rain was pouring down on us.

It was magical.

"Harry..." I muttered sleepily, visually imagining him lying next to me. For days and nights I have wondered how it would feel like to wake up next to someone who can make you feel so alive. A person that gives you the motivation to get out of bed everyday and live your life to the fullest. I think I've gotten one step closer to that fantasy, and so the thought itself makes me feel warm and gooey inside.

Suddenly, the hands are off my back. "Harry?" A voice asks in a questioning tone but it doesn't belong to Harry at all. Moreover, it is of the one person I least expected.

Liam.

My eyes snap open, and I sit up in bed. Stricken and wide eyed, I look around, realizing that I'm back in my own room in the castle. I scramble to pick up my phone on the nightstand beside my bed. I check the time. It's 11:02am.

My heart races when I am finally sober of sleep and see Liam sitting on the edge of the bed beside me.

Was the kiss Harry and I shared... a dream?

"Why are you here?" I ask Liam with a strict tone, but the question trails off with a hint of sadness due to the thought of Harry haunting my mind.

There was no first kiss.

There was no secret art motel room.

There was no Star Desmond.

There was no secret door.

There was no love.

I get out of bed, and run over to my bookcase. Attempting to push it away and reveal the secret passageway, I slide down to the ground, breaking down into tears of frustration.

I try to remember how we got back to the castle, but I can't. The last thing I saw before falling asleep was Harry kissing me.

I'm desperate to hear that it really did happen.

Liam rushes to my side and rubs my back. I jerk back, avoid his touch.
"Sorry, I just didn't want to wake you. You were sleeping so soundly."

"Where's Harry?" I ask him, getting up to my feet again. I need to know if we really snuck out last night.

Liam gets up also. "Why do need him anyway? He's just a badass guard who steals fiancées."

I turn to face to him angrily, glare like venom. "Look. We aren't even engaged yet. And don't talk about Harry like that, he's my... friend." The word is bitter on my tongue. It saddens me and it confuses me and it makes me want to strangle Harry for having this effect on me.

I don't even know what we are.

"Oh, I'm not buying that. Why did you say his name when I touched your back? Clearly, the gesture resembled of
one of his..." Liam laughs sarcastically before pausing momentarily, suspicion taking over his expression. "You... you didn't sleep with him, did you?"