• S I X T Y - S E V E N • (Pt.1)

SONG FOR THIS CHAPTER-
NO ONE EVER LOVED by LYKKE LI

**************
C A R O L I N E

I lie in bed with Marc trying to put him to his nap. Being the little overactive bean that he is, he shoves his fist in his mouth, tiny eyes looking up at the ceiling curiously.

"Wondering where your daddy is, huh." I ask, resting my arm under my head as I caress his soft, tender cheek. A small grunt leaves his mouth as he moves his legs around. He looks up at me carefully. "Don't worry, bud, he'll be back before you know it..."

I stare at my baby for a few long seconds. "You know, your dad and I didn't start off on the best of terms.... He was a meanie and I hated him to his guts. I'm still wondering how I ended up falling for him." I lean in an press a brief kiss to Marcel's ear.

"I fell for him quite hard."

Everything about this situation seems so surreal. I constantly have to remind myself that my best friend is long gone but I just can't accept it. Never can I imagine that smile leaving Zayn's face, the life drained from his eyes. He died trying to save Harry and I, my parents as well. I will forever be grateful of him giving up his life for my wellbeing.

Never have I ever come across a person as loving and sacrificial as him.

Tears come streaming down my face for the eighth time from when I first heard about his death. Looking over at Marcel, I see that his eyelids start to fall close. Good, he's falling asleep. The other side of my mind is consumed with thoughts of Harry.

What if those merciless monsters kill him?

My eyes widen at the thought. I jolt up straight, and rest my hands on the edge of the mattress. No...they wouldn't. But how could I be so sure? After thinking a while, I come to a decision.

I need to go after him.

Marcel sleeps so soundly in my arms when I pick him up and carry him out of the room. I find Lucy in the living room downstairs watching telly, feet resting on the ottoman.

"Hey, I saw Harry rushing out the door about half an hour ago...is everything okay?" A confused look is plastered on her face as she brings her feet back to the carpet.

"No, um, everything was going so well but the Mighties have my parents held hostage." I say, stumbling over my words as I press Marcel's tiny body close to my chest. Lucy's eyes go wide as she stands from the couch.

"What? Still, Harry shouldn't have-"

"It doesn't matter anymore because Harry already left. I'm going to go after him to make sure he's okay." Lucy nods fast in agreement.

"Yeah, do that."

"So, uh, can I leave Marcel with you for a bit? Harry and I will be back soon."

"For sure." She breathes out and I hand Marcel over to her. Her mouth parts as she carefully cups the back of his head, trying not to wake him up. Marcel's stomach raises and lowers as he breathes loudly. I see Lucy smile warmly at him with her head lowered to his face.

I hastily put on my shoes and my thin leather coat and open the front door. Lucy walks over with Marcel as well, keeping him snug under his thick blanket. "Caroline, be safe okay?" Lucy says concerned.