• F O R T Y - S I X •

A/N: Woah!! Chapter 46 already! Four more chapters till chapter 50 which is a little more than the halfway mark into the book. After ABS is done, I'll be editing and revising it. That's my plan for the near future:)

SONG FOR THIS CHAPTER- SPACES by ONE DIRECTION

____________________

C A R O L I N E

The bedsheets smell like Harry. The cologne he spritzes on his body every morning wavers through my nostrils, making me smile at the very thought of him lying next to me. By the time my eyes flutter open, reality strikes me across the face. Everything about last night seems so surreal...was that Harry speaking or someone else? What is it that's bothering him so much that he's taking his anger out on me?

It isn't healthy, that's for sure.

I'm the one getting hurt in the end, while Harry continues to repeat his mistakes. I follow behind him like a lost puppy, agreeing with everything he does and says. But it isn't my fault that I need him.

I want to be the type of girl who loves someone because she wants them, not because she needs them to hide behind.

Slowly, I'm going to work towards changing that. I turn my sore body over to the other side of the bed; the sheets where Harry used to lie is empty. He must of gotten up already. I pull myself up and scan my eyes over the room. He's not here. A hopeless sigh surpasses my lips.

I can tell Harry feels guilty though, for what he said last night. I never expected such harsh words from him. Even though he apologized shortly after, I can't help to think...Is he right?

I can feel it- the way Harry and I are slowly drifting apart, going our separate ways. His eyes don't reflect the same love we shared, instead they're replace with guilt and sadness. It feels as though I'm the very reason.

A tear slips from my eye and down onto the cold bedsheets. I find Harry's shirt lying on the ground and so I pick it up and bury my face in it. Its overwhelming scent of alcohol gets me dizzy, so I throw it back to the floor. That tee shirt used to smell like lavender.

I quickly go use the bathroom and throw on some clothes. I don't really care what I wear anymore...it's not like anyone's going to see me and I've got no one to impress. Not a single bit.

My stomach starts to grumble with hunger so I make my way towards the cabinets, trying to find something to eat. However, in one cabinet I find a black shoe box resting at the back of the space. My eyebrows crease in confusion. What's this doing in here?

I look around before pulling it out. My stare is set on it for several seconds, weighing it with my hands. It doesn't have any type of label on it, so I'm assuming it's nothing important.

One little peak wouldn't hurt.

My fingers are sweaty and fumbling as they clutch the lid of the shoebox. My conscience tells me this is a bad idea, but my brain says otherwise. Maybe this is the answer to everything. I can just take one little millisecond glance and pretend I never saw anything. It can't be that bad.

Right when my hands prepare to fling the lid off, the front door yanks open and a familiar furious voice yells.

"Hey! Don't fucking touch that!"

Uh oh.

_________________________

H A R R Y

"Hey! Don't fucking touch that!" I bark at Caroline when I see the box in her hands. I can't believe she fucking tried to snoop through my things. I never thought she would be like this.