• T W E L V E •

SONG FOR THIS CHAPTER- YOU AND I (you'll see why I chose this song)

***********
H A R R Y

The next morning I decide to treat myself a well-earned breakfast of coffee and donuts. As in well-earned, I'm talking about how I barely survived my first week in Courageous. Considering how Caroline finally stood up to her parents, I'm quite impressed because I didn't think she would have it in her.

Louis, Niall, Zayn and I stay concentrated on our regular morning workout. According to the Courageous Kingdom's book of guidelines, all guards are required to be physically fit; training the minimum of fifteen hours a week. It's mandatory for Louis, Zayn and I to be here, but Niall just decided to tag along.

Louis and Niall are on the treadmills, and silent huffs and puffs are heard from under Niall's heavy breath. Louis sniggers- we always tease Niall for being 'the cook who works out'.

Zayn's boxing glove covered fists persistently pound into the black punching bag hanging in front of him. Sweat trickles down from the sides of his face and moisture forms on his shirtless, inked body. He has his eyes fixed on the rapidly swinging punching bag. Back, forth, punch, back, forth, punch, punch, back, forth...

"Hey, Zayn, want me to get you a coffee and donut?" I ask, putting my heavy weight down and retiring to a sitting position. Zayn stops the bag.

"Thanks. Make sure it's honey glazed." He says almost breathlessly and continues to punch the bag.

I nod. "Louis?"

"I'll have a chocolate one, thanks." He says eagerly, reaching for his water bottle. Niall stops the treadmill from running and interferes, a little pout stuck to his face.

"Hey! What's wrong with my donuts?"

"Don't do that, Niall. You sound like a jealous little girl." Zayn grunts, sending another hard punch to the bag. Louis and I chuckle.

"Nah, I'm not jealous. Just really offended." Niall says, fixing his sloppy, rather damp quiff.

"So do you want a donut or not?" I ask, feeling impatient. I lick my oddly salty lips and wipe my face with a towel.
Niall opens his mouth to say something but I cut him short, throwing on my white tee. "I'll take that as a no then." It's amusing to mess with Niall because his reactions are so childlike.

I grab my wallet and keys and swing open the door to the gym.

"But I want a sprinkle one!" Niall whines and I can't help but laugh. I turn back to look at him, and Zayn stops punching. He laughs loudly as well, while Louis holds his stomach and joins in.

"Does wittle Nially Whiley want a spwinkle donut?" Louis cooes a little while after wiping the stray tears of laughter from his face. Niall purses his lips into a thin, straight line, saying nothing at all. Zayn and Louis roar with laughter, but I recognize the look on Niall's face; pissed off, but hurt.

"You know we're kidding, right?" I assure him, walking over and giving him a playful smack on the bicep. He shrugs off my gesture, throwing his shirt on.

"Today would have been my sister's eighteenth birthday." He mutters, an indescribable sadness in his eyes. Guilt hits me with a pang, but Zayn and Louis look completely confused.

Today is May 12th. Niall's little sister was four when she was diagnosed with leukaemia. Unfortunately, she past away just two days before her fifth birthday. Niall and I were nine at the time.

*FLASHBACK*

"Mum, it's Leila's fifth birthday in two days!" I said excitedly. Niall and I were blowing up balloons in Leila's favourite colours, pink and purple.