XXIV.

Ava and Jughead decided to go to the library, there was a serial killer amongst them and they needed research

Ava and Jughead decided to go to the library, there was a serial killer amongst them and they needed research. Jughead grabbed a few books and Ava followed grabbing a few more. They walked towards the desk and put their books down. "These research for school?" She asked kindly. "Research." Ava said. "Not for school." Jughead finished for her. She shook her head, "It's terriblewhat's going on in this town." She said. "Who would've think of it." Jughead said looking towards the desk. "A serial killer in Riverdale." Ava said shortly. "I'm not just talking about him. I'm also talking about that awful video." She said which made the two of them confused... What video?

Jughead was talking on the phone with Betty while Ava walked with him. She walked over quickly to hear Archie's voice. "Guess we're not watchingfunny cat videos." Jughead said. Sweet Pea licked his lips before saying, "Check this out." He turned the laptop around to show them a friend of theirs... Archie Andrews. Ava sat down and watched it. "Some sick-in-the-head Northsiderposted a video, and we were just talking." Sweet Pea said. "About what?" Ava asked trying to hide her glare and anger. "Fogarty wants to earnhis Serpent stripes. Bring us that Northsider's head,you're in." Sweet Pea said. Ava looked at Jughead then back to Sweet Pea. "I'm down with that." Fangs said smiling, they all started to laugh. "No, guys. No-" Ava told them while Jughead said, "No, guys, don't-" Sweet Pea looked at them. "What, Jones? C'mon Ava." Sweet Pea said. "I know this guy. He's a milquetoast.He's a football player. It's a lame target is all I'm saying. You wanna prove something? Why don't you go after the Black Hood?" Jughead said and Ava stood up and left the Serpents. She was just done with Sweet Pea at this moment. Jughead and Sweet Pea kept talking about the Black Hood when Ava was alone somewhere. 

Ava was taking notes on the books she picked up about a few serial killers, she was angry with Sweet Pea and honestly, Archie too. Jughead was taking notes with her and he would glance towards her from time to time. The door opens, Toni walks into the room. "So, what are you reading?" She asked. Jughead looked up, he took off his headphones. He sighed softly as looked at Ava in her own world. Jughead showed the book to Toni and she nodded. "Ah. Beware the Zodiac. It's decent, though I prefer Robert Graysmith'sdefinitive books on the subject." Toni said looking at Ava. Ava finally looked up and glanced at her phone. Jughead's phone begins buzzing and Ava looked at Jughead. "You need to get that?" Ava asked. "I'll call her back later." Jughead said looking at her. Ava nodded and smiled a bit. "Jones, Jones, Jones. You disappoint me. If serial killers are your jam, might I suggest Ted Bundy, Albert Fish, Aileen Wuornos." Toni told them. Ava smiled a bit as Toni listed the serial killers she knew. "They don't fit the profile." Jughead said. "Right. Unlike most serial killers,our guy wears a mask. Well, a hood, when he kills." Toni said. "Someone consumed with self-loathing. Conversely, he sends lettersand cryptos to the press. Think he's narcissistic,or a Batman villain?" Ava said. They laughed all together, even in the darkest times... They could laugh. "I'm a true crime junkie." Toni said. "True crime is my crack." Jughead joked. "I figured,and that's why I'm seeking you out. The Register didn't bash Southsideto post the Black Hood cipher. You wanna help me crack it?" Toni said. Ava grabbed the newspaper and smiled softly. She knew she would be able to crack it easily, this was a thing she did when she was younger. "Sure." Jughead said. "I'll help." Ava said smiling.

Ava was still asleep with the cypher in front of her. She spent the whole night trying to solve it to have no luck. Jughead answered the door to see Betty. "Betty? What time is it?" Jughead asked. "Seven-fifteen. I wanted to catch you before school." Betty said before kissing Jughead on the lips. "I'm sorry. I have morning breath. You want coffee or something?" Jughead said to her. Ava's phone started buzzing which made her wake up quickly. She rubbed her eyes and looked at the cypher. "No, I'm actuallyon my way to the library. I asked Ms. Parooto set aside all the books she has aboutcryptograms and ciphers. I thought it mighthelp us crack the code, which I'm hoping is somethingwe can do together, Jug." Betty said. Ava looked at Jughead then to her books of cyphing she had saved. "Um... Actually..." Jughead started as he got his cereal ready. "funny enough,Toni and Ava, of all people and I, we- We started working on that yesterdayat the Red and Black. I can show you what we've got so far." Jughead said. Ava sat up and got ready for the day ahead of her. "Toni. Because, let me guess... she loves serial killers." Betty said sitting down. "She does have an affinityfor the darker side of things." Ava said as she was ready. 

Betty nodded and looked at Jughead. "In that case,why don't we all work on it together? You, me, Toni, Ava, and Kevin." Betty said. "Kevin?" Ava asked. Betty nodded as she looked at Ava. "Yeah, it'll be like a little code-breaking party. So fun. You can host." Betty said to Jughead. Betty hit Jughead's shoulder and smiled. Ava rolled her eyes and relaxed before school. The day came, Ava was so bored and tired. She seemed to zone out when people, the Serpents tried to talk with her. "Hey Ava, are you still up for that party tonight?" Jughead asked. Ava nodded and yawned softly. "I am.. Juggy, we need to find out what that cypher says to Betty. She's my friend and your girlfriend." She said. Jughead nodded and looked at her eyes. Jughead felt love towards Ava but he was dating Betty... He couldn't just like them both... Or could he?