XXIII.

Ava was sitting besides Sweet Pea as he sat on the desk

Ava was sitting besides Sweet Pea as he sat on the desk. Ava and Toni was sitting with each other behind them. "Fahrenheit 451, by one of my favorite authors, Ray Bradbury. Let's start with the title. Can anyone tell me its significance?" The teacher, Phillips said. "What? Damn it!" Sweet Pea yelled getting up. He left the room and Ava watched in frustration. "People, there's a burning book on the cover." He said. "Fahrenheit 451 is the temperature at which paper burns." Ava mumbled loud enough to be heard. "It was a pleasure to burn." Jughead quoted. "Indeed. Thank you, Mr... Jones and Ms. Creed. And welcome to hell." He told them. Ava rolled her eyes and looked back at him. The bell rings and everyone left the class. Jughead and Ava went to the teacher. "Uh, hi, Mr. Phillips?" Jughead said. "Mr. Jones.... Ms. Creed." He said. "Toni was telling me you used to advise the school paper. I was wondering what happened." Jughead said. "Drugs and gangs came to Southside High. Trying to get students interested in the school paper was an exercise in futility." He told them. "I'm interested. I have experience. Ava also has experience. At Riverdale High, we wrote for the Blue and Gold. We'll put in the work." Jughead said. He nodded then they left. Jughead knew she was wearing her serpent jacket to protect him from anyone. "Ava, I don't need your protection." He told her. "Yes you do... I know how this place goes... The Goulies are dangerous... I don't want you hurt." She said.

Ava and Sweet Pea were in the hallway, making out. She didn't want to think about anything at hand with anyone around them or even the problem she didn't tell Jughead she is the Serpent Queen... Well, Princess as of right now. They only have been dating for a few weeks now and met a few times alone. Ava pulled away and smiled. "I got to go, Sweets. See you at lunch." She said winking. She walked away to find Jughead. Toni and Jughead were in the room where the Red and Black wrote. Ava walked into the room and coughed. "Well, it's no New York Times." Ava said looking around. "But, hey, kudos on finding your safe space, snowflake." Toni said looking at Jughead. "Yeah, all I need now is a photographer with an amazing eye and a hunger for social justice, and I think I'll be set. Or maybe another person to help that knows what their doing." Jughead said looking at them. Ava rolled her eyes and looked at Jughead. "I can't... Serpent's are a gang. So, I'm sorry." She said. 

The door opens and Sweet Pea walks in with some other Serpents. "Topaz. Creed. Let's bounce. Jones, wanna come with? We're going to the quarry." Sweet Pea said. Ava looked at Jughead in hope. "Uh, I don't have my beach bod yet." Jughead told them. "What? You'll ask for help from the Serpents, but you won't hang with us? Don't come crawling to us, hat in hand, when some Ghoulie decides to earn his stripes by taking out FP Jones' kid." Sweet Pea said looking at him. Ava kissed his cheek and whispered in his ear. "Calm down, Sweets... I'm going to stay with Jug just in case anyone tries to harm him... Is that ok?" She whispered. Sweet Pea nodded and kissed her lips. "Be careful." He whispered. "Duly noted. Thank you, Sweet Pea. I appreciate what you and the Serpents have done for me and my dad. I do. But I'm done. Okay? No more favors coming your way." Jughead said. Sweet Pea tried to attack Jughead but Ava stopped him. "Hey, hey, he made up his mind, okay?" Ava said. "Take the hint, Sweet Pea. He's just not that into you." Toni said. They left which left Jughead and Ava in the room. "I thought you were going with them?" Jughead said. "I wanted to stay with you..." Ava said, she sat down on the table. "I promised FP I would keep you safe in here... I'm willing to keep it." She said looking at him smiling softly.

Ava was curled in a ball with her serpent jacket over her. She was tired and frankily, she just wanted to go home with her family... her biological family. Her mother, father, and her older brother. Betty ended up coming to the Red and Black to see Jughead and make out with him. Ava rolled her eyes to that since she didn't want to interrupt them. Toni came later and checked on Ava to see her asleep in the corner. Jughead told Betty that Toni is the photographer for the paper along with Ava. After everyone left Southside high, Jughead and Ava walked out alone. A door slams in the distance which causes Ava to tense up. "Uh... Juggy.." She whispered. Jughead smiled softly, he tried to not to show his fear but he was losing. They start to walk away but quicker. The power turns off quickly, Ava grabbed Jughead's arm as she looked around. Jughead tries to open the door but it's locked. "Great..." She mumbled. "Jughead... Aveline." The man said. Which made them turn around, they rushed away from the door. The man's voice repeated saying their names. Then both of them were grabbed and beat together. Betty was cleaning Jughead's wounds while Toni cleaned Ava's. "What exactly happened?" Toni asked Ava. "We fell off our motorcycles. I just got hurt worst.." She said. Jughead had a few cuts and bruises while Ava had a black eye, cuts, and bruises on her. Toni hit her arm, Ava glared at Toni. "Okay... We were attacked." Ava whispered to her. She knew what happened, she looked at Jughead. 

Betty left to go to Riverdale. Toni smirked. "Now, you know to take the Ghoulies more seriously now." Toni said. "Well, I would save Jug but I was tired and had nothing... They also knew I was a Serpent so I got hit worst." Ava said as she checked the cut on her lip. Later at school, Jughead sat at the Serpent table which made Ava happy. She sat besides Sweet Pea as they held hands under the table. Toni looked at them then at Jughead.