XII.

It was the day, both Jughead and Ava hated the most

It was the day, both Jughead and Ava hated the most... well, Jughead more than Ava. It was Jughead's 16th birthday tomorrow and the next day was hers. Jughead was playing a video game while Ava was playing with Archie's guitar, lastly Archie was writing in his binder. Fred knocked on the door which caught the three of their attentions. "I'm, uh- I'm headed out. Sorry to be missing your birthday this weekend, Jug and Ava." Fred told them. "Oh, you will not be missing anything,Mr. Andrews." Jughead said, paying attention to the game. "We barely acknowledge our own birthdays." Ava told honestly. "Arch, can you give me a hand downstairs?" Fred said looking down before looking at Archie. Ava looked at Jughead and smile slightly. "Happy birthday though." Ava said to him smirking. Jughead rolled his eyes and looked at her. 

Archie, Veronica, and Betty were talking about Jughead's birthday and after that was Ava's. Veronica thought about a party for the both of them and it would be a surprise. "Hey, you may or may not know this, but it's Jughead's and Ava's birthday." Archie said. "What? And he didn't say anything? Neither did Ava?" Betty asked. "It's tomorrow and Ava's is the next day. They don't like making a big deal out of it. Every year, they go to a double feature at the Bijou. It's like this tradition. The last few years,I've been their movie buddy... But now that he has a girlfriend." Archie told her. "Of course I'll take them. You should come." Betty talked. "I don't wanna be a fourth wheel." Archie told her. "Oh, come on. It'll be like old times." Betty said putting a hand on his shoulder. "The Three Musketeers." Archie joked. "Actually, Archie,there were four musketeers." Betty told him. After that, Betty talked with FP about coming to their birthday party. "Great. Well, I'm callingbecause it's Jughead's birthday tomorrow and Ava's is the next day. I wanted to see if maybeyou would come see a movie with us maybe grab dinner?" Betty said on the phone. "Does he know you're calling me?" FP asked. "No. I thought maybe I'd surprise him... and maybe Ava." Betty said. "Ah... Man, there's one thingthat Jughead likes less than surprises and that's his birthday. Kid's never even had a party.Never wanted one. Ava hates surprises and her birthday the most. Never knew two kids that could hate something so much.." FP told her. "What? Never?" Betty said surprised with this. "Anyway, I think the best gift that I could giveto Jughead and Ava would be to stay away." FP told her before hanging up. 

" Anyway, enough about my drama.Betty, you were saying something about Jughead's and Ava's birthday?" Veronica asked Betty. Veronica, Betty, Kevin, and Archie were at the lunch table together. "Yeah, just that Mr. Jones told me Jughead's never had a birthday party and that Ava hates her own birthday along with surprises." Betty said. Archie nodded his head while having water in his mouth. "Let's have one for them. Like, a low-key surprise party but say the surprise is for Jughead." Betty said. "No." Archie tried to reason. "That's a fantastic idea." Veronica said smiling. "Jughead and Ava doesn't like their birthdays." Archie said. "Everybody says that. Nobody means it." Kevin said looking at Archie. "Jughead is a lone wolf... The only one close enough to him is Ava and that's because they are the same in a sense." Archie told them. "Okay, ignoring the negativity.Betty, you know me. Any excuse to wear a cute party dress." Veronica said. "Yeah." Betty said. "Okay, so I'm thinking a quaint gathering. Inner circle only." Veronica said. With that said, they started a whole surprise for the two lone wolves. 

Later on, the three of them ate pizza together. "Phew." Archie said as he tried touching the hot pizza. "So a John Landis double featureat the Bijou.American Werewolf in Londonand Animal House." Jughead said sitting down. Ava smiled, "I can't wait." She replied. "That's awesome.Except you two are going with Betty instead." Archie said. "Third wheeling... Sounds fun." Ava mumbled. "You told her about my...our birthdays? Dude, come on. That's a primal betrayal." Jughead said. "Why do you hate your birthdayso much, Jug? You too, Ava." Archie said. "PTSD from when I was a kid. I don't know.Things were always messed up at home usually because of my dad,and there was this arbitrary day that we would just get togetherand pretend things were great, we were normal. Just made me feel really lonely." Jughead told Archie first. "I guess my turn... My father was never around, he would either drug deal, drink, or hang with the serpents. He would forget my birthdays and my mom would try to surprise birthday me... which would lead to my parents fighting over money... So, I would run to Jug's to escape." Ava told them since Jughead didn't really know why she hated her birthday.

" Ava told them since Jughead didn't really know why she hated her birthday

It was finally time for movies at the Bijou. Betty was besides Jughead, Jughead was in the middle, making Ava on his right side. "Hey, I was talking to Kevin, and he told methat you and Chuck had some scene in the cafeteria yesterday." Jughead said to Betty. "It wasn't a big deal." Betty told him. "What exactly happenedbetween you guys that night?" Ava asked looking at Betty. "Veronica asked me to keep the detailsunder wraps, okay?" Betty told them. Ava nodded and focused on the screen other than the two's conservation. "Please stop making me feel like I'm third wheeling in on your date." Ava said begging slightly. Betty smiled and leaned onto Jughead. Ava leaned back and started watching the movie.

Betty texted on her phone and Ava looked at her. She knew she might play something so she kept an eye out for her acting unusual. They arrived to Fred's home and she got out of the car. She looked at the door and let the two take the lead. They walked in first and Ava followed. She walked ahead with Jughead while Betty closed the door. "Surprise!" Their friends exclaimed while the lights turned on. Ava stepped back slightly then saw Joaquin. "This is why we left the double feature." Jughead said looking at Betty. "Guys..." Ava said softly. "Av, don't worry the surprise party is for Jughead mostly." Veronica said. "Happy birthday, bro." Archie said hugging the two of them. "Hey, you really shouldn't have." Jughead said. Ava got out of the hug and looked at Archie in disgust. "You reek. Are you drunk?" Ava asked which Archie mumbled a no.