X.

Cheryl, Val, Ava, Archie, Jughead, Betty, Kevin, and Veronica

Cheryl, Val, Ava, Archie, Jughead, Betty, Kevin, and Veronica... the normal group was sitting in the lounge talking about Polly. "Polly's convinced herselfthat no one wants her baby." Betty said. Kevin rocked back and forth on the arm of a chair he was sitting on. "Besides, of course,the child-snatching Blossom monsters. No offense, Cheryl." Kevin said. "None taken." Cheryl said. "So your mom and dad want Pollybut not the baby.." Jughead started. "And the Blossoms want the babyand not Polly. It's a true Gordian knot." Ava finished. Betty nodded her head to the statement. "It's an impossible situation." Betty said. "Betty, come on. An impossible situation is being invited to the Vanity Flair Oscar party and Elton John's Oscar partyon the same night which happened to me one year. I know. This is merely an annoying situation. But luckily, I have been percolating on an idea,hellishly simple in its conception. What if my mom and Iwere to host a baby shower?" Veronica said. "Count me in." Cheryl said smiling. Ava looked at Betty. "You want Polly to feel loved and supported, right?" Veronica asked. "Yeah, but ideally by her own parents." Betty said. 

"Okay, so baby steps, girl. Get Polly and your parents in the same room,in a public setting where they can't fight and voilá, let the healing begin." Veronica said. "Am I expected to come to this thing?" Jughead asked looking at Betty. Ava sniffled her laugh in, she knew Jughead didn't like big parties or events. "Of course. You're Betty's boyfriend, so..." Veronica said. This statement caused Archie and Ava to move uncomfortably in their spot. "Oh, my God, you guys, relax.It's just a word that starts with the letter B. Betty, what do you say?" Veronica said leaning forwards. "Elizabeth Cooper." Alice said coming in. "Mom?" Betty asked looking at her mother. "I need you and you. Right now." She said before walking away. Betty and Veronica followed her. "Nothing like being scared by Betty's mother." Ava mumbled softly. 

Later on, Archie got a few men and Ava to help him with the construction. Everyone agreed upon it and went to the trailer of Fred's Construction. Ava had on a black tank top with jeans, she also has on some boots to help her. She grabbed some things and walked with the boys. "What is this?" Fred asked. "Your new crew. Reporting for duty." Archie said. "I appreciate it, I do, but isn't there somethingmore important you need to be doing? Going to school, playing football?" Fred asked. "Well, we can work after practiceand on weekends. Until you find a new crew.Help keep things on schedule. Come on, Dad. I worked for you the whole summer. And these guys-" Archie said. "We're bruiser studs, Mr. Andrews. At least, some of us are." Moose said looking at Ava and Jughead. Ava smiled a bit and put her hair in a ponytail. "Come on. Desperate times, Fred, huh?" Hermione said. Fred sighed as Hermione looks at him. "All right. Here we go." Fred said leading them to the site. Kevin mouths, 'I love the boots.' Which made Hermione laugh quietly. 

Ava, Moose, and Kevin put carried some rocks, they didn't think she could do it. "Do you need some help, princess?" One said. "No thanks." She said smiling. She carried two rocks in her arms to the one pile. Ava wanted to help since Fred helped her so much. "I prefer my contact sports. One on one, you know? Like boxing." Kevin said. Ava, Jughead, and Archie walked together as Archie moved the wheelbarrow. "Pretty handy with that wheelbarrow, Archie." Ava said. "If the whole music thing doesn't pan out,you'll have manual labor as a fallback." Jughead said. "Don't even joke.I did this all summer long, remember? My dad loves this kind of work,and I love him. But...." Archie said. "No, I know." Jughead said. "Your dad's path is not for you. Trust me, we get it." Ava said looking at Jughead. "He works his ass off for me, bro. Never asks for anything, always has my back.Even when I mess up. So if having his back meansI gotta haul some rocks, then bring it on." Archie said. "Agreed. Your dad's got our back too. More than some people." Jughead said. "Exactly." Archie said putting the wheelbarrow down. They stopped walking. 

It was night and the six of them finally were finished. They walked into the trailer together. "Hey, guys. Real lifesaver today.I appreciate it. Hard hats go in the bin,and there's sodas in the fridge." Fred told them. Ava put her hard hat in the bin before grabbing a soda. "Crap. Hey, guys. I forgot my phone." Moose said before going back out to grab it. They heard banging in a distance, Ava looked up before running out. She ran towards Moose and saw people beating him up. Ava watched the truck drive away from the scene. "Moose, are you okay?" Archie asked. Moose just groaned, he tried getting up. "Stay down. We'll get you some help." Fred told him. "Who did this to you, Moose?" Jughead asked him. "No clue. But they said as long as we keep working, they're gonna keep coming back." He replied. Moose got sat down while Ava cleans his cuts with the first aid kit. "What the hell happened here?" Sheriff Keller asked. "Well, Moose over there, he caught a couple of guysworking over my equipment with a crowbar. They got the drop on him." Fred told. "Who were they, vandals?" Sheriff Keller asked. "Cliff Blossom has made it clear he would lovenothing more than to see this go belly-up." Fred explained. Sheriff Keller looked at the others. "I doubt that Blossom is gonna hire some thugsto bust up your site and beat up some teenagers." Keller said. 

"Maybe it wasn't him.I mean, this is Serpent territory, right? Maybe it was them, pissed that they hadto leave because of this project." Archie said. Kevin went besides his father. "Serpents?" He asked. Ava and Jughead looked at Archie in disbelief. Archie nodded. "When we worked at the drive-in,the Serpents never bugged us." Jughead said telling a half-lie. The serpents never bugged them because their father's were in the group. "Did you see any snake tattoos?Anything on their jackets?" Keller asked looking at Moose. "It happened pretty fast." Moose told. "I'll talk to Blossom,but I don't think we're gonna get anywhere unless we can ID these guys." Keller told. "That is such bull." Archie said. "If this was Blossom asking for help,you'd say yes." Archie continued angrily. "Archie..." Fred said. "What, Dad? It's true." Archie said. "It's not helping..." Ava said looking at the path they took to leave.