XIX

Jughead and Ava were sitting alone at lunch

Jughead and Ava were sitting alone at lunch. Ava in her own world as she thought about Sweet Pea and Toni... The two people who helped her no matter what. "Betty's babysitting Polly. Mind if I join you?" Veronica asked. "Are you sure you wanna sitat the Social Pariah Table?" Jughead asked looking at Veronica. Veronica chuckled, Ava looked up and smiled a bit. "I've been sitting at it for months.Why should today be any different? By the way, I've been thinking. You and I have a lot in common." Veronica said to Jughead. "Oh? Because my dad's going to prisonand your dad is getting out?" He asked. "We're dating each other's best friends,I was going to say. But yes, the prison thing, too." Veronica said. Cheryl walked up to them, Ava looked at her and saw the broken girl no one else saw. "Jughead. I'm sorry. I had no right to pummel youthe way I did that day. As recompense, I'd like to give you this. My iconic spider brooch." Cheryl said throwing him the iconic spider she always wore. "It'll catch a pretty pennyat the local pawnshop. Enough to keep you in burgersand S T-shirts for years, if not decades." Cheryl said. "Cheryl, what is going on?" Ava asked and Veronica nodded. "I'm-" Cheryl said before being interrupted by Kevin. They went to Betty's locker to see 'Go to hell, Serpent slut!' written in pig's blood. Ava looked at everyone and glared. "Get away from the locker! Now!!" She yelled at all of them while Jughead dealt with Betty. 

Jughead and Ava decided to go to Southside High school early. Ava texted Toni to get her Southside Serpent jacket for when they see each other at school. Ava waited for Jughead to be done with calling someone on the phone. She walked into the drug filled Southside high school they might have to deal with all year and maybe even more than that. During lunch, Jughead and her sat alone. They got a crowd around them and Ava smirked a bit to them. She noticed the jean jacket they were wearing. They all laughed about something one of them said. "Jug. Ava." Betty said. Jughead turned around to see them and she looked at them blankily. "What are you guys doing here?" Jughead asked. They went outside, Betty and Jughead decided to talk while Archie and Veronica talked. Ava watched, she knew she was more of the black sheep then Jughead could ever be. Ava watched as she got a text from Cheryl. She run to Veronica. "Did you get a text from Cheryl...?" She asked. Veronica nodded. "Where would Cheryl go to be with Jason?" Veronica asked. "Sweetwater River." Archie and Ava said. "We have to go!" Veronica told them. "Guys, we have to go!" Ava told Betty and Jughead.

"Cheryl?!" Ava yelled out being ahead of everyone. She walked quickly to the water and watched her be over the icy water. She quickly walked to the shore along with everyone else. She was hitting the ice, Ava stepped on the ice and it cracked. She had to act quickly. "I'm sorry..." Ava said before rushing to Cheryl. Jughead tried to stop her but Archie stopped him. She stood up and turned to them with tears in her eyes. "Just come to the shoreand we'll figure this out together, okay?" Veronica said to Cheryl. The ice broke under Cheryl. Ava pushed her to the others and fell into the broke ice. "No!" They all yelled. "Ava!!" Jughead yelled. Cheryl tried to get her but she fell into the water. "The current has them.." Archie said. "Spread out! Spread out!" Jughead yelled. Ava closed her eyes as she saw her father dead under the water. She knew this was her imagination. She grabbed Cheryl's hand as she passed out. Archie found Cheryl and yelled She's here. He ended up banging on the ice as he cracked it open. Archie reached for Cheryl in the water. He got out Cheryl then Ava right after. Archie looked at Jughead. "I need you to do CPR on Ava. Follow what I do." He told him. They both checked if they were breathing which they weren't. Then Archie started doing CPR to Cheryl, Jughead copied him. Cheryl was first to cough up water and wake up. Ava followed then she sat up slowly. Archie picked up Cheryl and carried her to the land. Jughead carried Ava. "Don't do that ever again." He told her. Ava shivered and closed her eyes tired. "Get somewhere warm first then lecture me after." She told him. 

Ava and Cheryl were with a towel in front of the fire to warm up. Veronica texted Jughead to keep him up to date with Ava since he was worried for her. Veronica walked to them with two mugs of hot chocolate. "Hey. Hot chocolate? With a little splashof peppermint liqueur." Veronica said. Ava reached for a mug and Veronica gave it to her. Then she handed the other mug to Cheryl. Cheryl looked at Ava. "Thank you... For saving me." She said. "Well, it didn't really help since you fell in after me." She said shivering. "Are you warm enough?" She asked them. Ava nodded and drank her hot chocolate. After she got warmed enough, she left to see FP. She changed into warmer clothes as she got her phone. 

She walked in and smiled a bit to see Jughead

She walked in and smiled a bit to see Jughead. "Hey." She said. Jughead turned and hugged her. "You look like you went swimming, Ava." FP commented. "I kinda did..." She commented. Jughead looked at FP. "Sheriff Keller tells meyou still haven't given any names. He's hoping I can convince you otherwise." Jughead said. "I've been sweating it out, Jug, and uh... the only conclusion I've come tois that both options suck." FP told. "Hey, I wanted to let you know that I... I'm gonna be okay. I met the foster familythat's taking me in. They're nice." Jughead said. FP got up and cleared his throat. "What about Southside High?" FP asked. "It's a high school." Ava commented. "It's got the jocks and the burnoutsand the nerds, the like. But I'll survive." Jughead said. "We will survive.." Ava said. "You just might. Jughead, Ava, listen to me.I'm more innocent than I am guilty, but I've done some- Some stupid things, some bad things. And come what may, I have to answerfor my part of it, you understand? I don't know what's gonna happenwhen this goes to trial but you need to be there. For your mom, for Jellybean. And theymight not need you right this second-" FP said. "We'll do our best." Ava said with Jughead. "Not a doubt in my mind. Now, go on." FP said patting their heads. 

Jughead and Ava walked in on Betty's speech which made Jughead slightly happy to be there for his girlfriend's speech. Ava looked at her and nodded. They got to hear all of her speech then after... It was silent, Ava and Jughead started clapping then others followed. All five of them after went to Pop's for milkshakes. "To Archie Andrews, who saved the cheerleader and our best friend and saved the town." Veronica said. Ava rolled her eyes and looked at Archie. "You know what?I think that was Betty's speech." Archie said. "Here, here to Betty Cooper." Ava said. They put their milkshakes together and cheers.