70

Averys POV

"So your mom knew all these years and kept it from you and Mariano?" Mattia questioned.

I was beyond shocked and if I'm being honest I wanted to flip the table when she was talking to me about my dads affairs. Yes more than one.

Flashback to Amelia and Averys conversation

"Why did you keep this from me?" I asked with tears forming in my eyes.

"Avery...I never expected you to find out this way." She said in a low voice not trying to catch attention from the people around us.

"So then how was I supposed to find out? Were you gonna fly her out and put her in front of me? Or maybe just set up a facetime call and tell us the news there?"

"Avery calm down."

"No! My boyfriend introduced me to her. I found out on my own and it may not have been the way you wanted me to find out. But I hope you know I'm telling Mariano when we get home."

"Stop." My mom kept her eyes closed and her hands around the hot mug. "Please, just let me explain everything."

"Okay." I sat back and wiped the few tears that escaped.

"He was a cheater. I never told you guys anything about it because I wanted my kids to believe in true love. It mostly happened in the beginning of our relationship then it stopped for a few years. We got married and you know what happened."

"Why would you make me believe you had the perfect love story if it was full of lies?" I asked. I honestly don't know how I'm not breaking down and crying my eyes out.

"Your father did love me, Avery. With every bone in his body, he loved me. He grew up, he was troubled all his life and I took my time finding out ways to help him. I let him sleep with all those women. But once a few years passed by and he proposed, he changed."

I find it hard to believe my mom was dumb enough to let this happen but then I look at my relationship. It's not perfect and I was that dumb girl before.

"Mariano was born, then two months later I got pregnant with you. He had to go to Spain for his friends bachelor party. There he met Lucias mom. She was one of the strippers in their hotel room."

Like mother like daughter.

"When did you find out he got her pregnant?" I asked her.

She took a sip of her coffee then answered my question. "Halfway through my pregnancy."

"Wow." I looked at the ceiling suddenly feeling differently about my dad.

"I know it sounds bad but Avery there was nothing I could do. I couldn't hate him, I couldn't leave him, I only knew how to be with him."

"I don't even know what to say..." I whispered.

"After he died, I reached out to Lucias mother. I told her the news and I decided I would send $500 to her every month. She accepted it but then started returning the money after five years."

I looked down at my hands and played with my thumbs. My whole life felt like a lie.

"I promise I wanted to tell you sooner. I should have but I was afraid of how you would react...Please look at me." Her voice was shaky. I hated seeing my mom like this. I did as she said and she smiled.

"I know now. I feel like Mattia meeting her and introducing us was..almost inevitable. She's basically my twin." I chuckled. "But I'm still a bit confused and disappointed. Not every love is perfect and I cant hate him or have suggested that you should've left him earlier because then I wouldn't be here but I would've liked to have known sooner."