Uneasy

Even though Scott had a bad feeling, he talked to Avi's parents. They were really nice towards him, a little reserved, but interested in him and his life. They were strolling through the garden when all of a sudden, Scott felt something wet and warm on his head. "It's raining" he said immediately, but when he saw Avi's face, he knew that he was wrong. "What?"

"No. It was a bird" the bearded man said. "Don't touch it, go right upstairs and take a shower!"

Scott grimaced. "Ewww..."

"That's nature" Shelly said. "Be generous with the shampoo, it won't be a problem. I laid out some towels for you in the bathroom."

Scott smiled at her. "Wonderful, thank you very much" he said. "I'll be back in a moment." He headed back into the house and upstairs to the bathroom. 

Before he went into the shower, he looked into the mirror. There was a huge white and dark glob right on the top of his head. "Disgusting" he said to himself before he got under the shower. 

It took a while for him to get rid of the stuff in his hair and once he was sure that everything was out he washed his hair once more for good measure. While he was getting dressed his phone beeped. His battery was low. While he was looking through his bag he rememebered that he had forgotten his charger in the car. He decided to grab it before joining Avi and his parents.

Downstairs he saw that Avi and his parents were still sittng in the garden. 

The blonde immediately knew that something wasn't right from the way Avi was sitting in the chair. He had his arms around himself, as if he was protecting himself and he looked as if he was even smaller than before. 

Scott furrowed his brows and even though he didn't want to listen in on them, he needed to know what they were talking about. 

"You know, Avriel, when you broke up with Mia and told us that you like men, we thought that it was just a phase, that you would find another woman. We never told you, we decided to wait" Mr Kaplan said. 

Scott cringed. Exactly what he had feared him to say, even though he had hoped for anything else. 

"No, Dad. It's not just a phase. I like men and right now I am in love with Scott. He is my boyfriend. I know that it is not easy for you, it still is very hard for me, but you have to accept me the way I am" Avi said with a firm voice. Still, his body language showed Scott that he he wasn't as confident as his voice made it sound like. 

Then Avi's mother said something, but her voice was softer and Scott couldn't understand what she was saying, he just saw Avi's father shaking his head and Avi nodding. 

The blonde didn't know what to do. He didn't want to barge into the situation and make it worse, so he just grabbed the car keys out of Avi's jacket and went outside to get his charger. He decided to make some noise once he was back inside so the Kaplans would know that he was returning.

As he was grabbing his charger, Scott heard a car parking to his left. He looked up and smiled when he saw that it was Esther. 

He closed the door of the car and was quick to open Esther's door. "Hello Esther" he said with a small smile. 

Esther got out and hugged the taller man tight. "Nice to see you Scott. How are you?"

"Got shit on by a bird but apart from that." Scott shrugged his shoulders.

Esther didn't laugh, but raised an eyebrow questioningly. "Out with it. What's wrong? Is something with Avi? Or with my parents. 

Scott didn't really feel comfortable telling her. "It's probably just nothing" he said.

"Then it is probably a lot"Esther replied. "Tell me, please." 

"Well I was just coming back downstairs from taking a shower. I wanted to get my charger and then join your parents and Avi back outside. On my way out I saw them, Avi looked uncomfortable, I was able to listen to a few things your father and Avi said. Your father gave Avi the whole 'it's just a phase'- speech and Avi tried to defend himself... and me, but he was so uncomfortable doing this. Your mother said something as well, but I couldn't hear her" Scott explained. He sighed. "I am sorry, I don't want to ruin the mood or anything, I am just scared of Avi relapsing with his anxiety and the meds..."

Esther put her hand onto Scott's arm. "It's fine, Scott, I am glad that you told me" she said. "And while I am not planning to confronting them straight away it is important that we are aware that something is going on. Tell you what: I'll go in there now and get Avi out of the situation for the time being while you can be a gentleman and carry my bags upstairs?" 

Scott was glad that Esther was trying to help immediately and that she was keeping him out of the situation. "You know that I would've offered regardless?" He asked. 

Esther nodded. "Yes. Because you are a true gentleman." She smiled at him. "My room is right next to Avi's you can't miss it." She opened the trunk and Scott took the surprisingly small bag inside and walked upstairs while Esther made a beeline for the garden. 

Once upstairs, Scott dropped off Esther's bag and decided to go to the bathroom and then wait a moment before going back downstairs. 

As he was washing his hands, he heard heavy steps on the stairs and then a door opening and closing again. Scott was sure that it had been the door to Avi's room so he was quick to finish and see about his boyfriend. 

Upon entering the room, he found Avi, shirtless, searching through his bag. "Hey, Dear" the blonde said. "Is everything alright?"

Avi turned around and nodded. "Yeah, just needed a new shirt, I spilled tea all over the other one."

Scott saw the soiled shirt hanging over a chair. "Seems as if we're both out of luck today, hmm?" He tried to joke.

Avi shrugged his shoulders. "Well you were out of luck, I'm just clumsy" he commented as he put on a fresh shirt. 

"True" Scott replied, eyeing his boyfriend carefully. "Apart from that everything's alright?" 

Avi nodded. "Sure" he said. "Just a bit hungry, but Mama is already starting on dinner." He turned around and smiled at his boyfriend. "Maybe I could need a hug?"

Scott smiled and opened his arms, held his boyfriend tight. "Are you sure that everything is alright?" He tried once more.

Avi just nodded. "Yeah. I just needed this" he said and laid his head onto Scott's chest and closed his eyes.

Scott knew that Avi usually did this when he was feeling uneasy and needed to ground himself so he just held him tight and waited. Even though Avi wasn't ready to talk about what had been going on with him and his parents, Scott would be there for him and give him whatever he needed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~