Date Night

“Mitchy? Can I go out like this?” Scott walked into the living room where Mitch was sitting on the sofa with his iPad in his lap. 

The smaller man looked up and nodded. “Yeah, you’re looking good” he replied. “Go out there and get the man.”

Scott chuckled. “It’s not about getting the man, Mitch, not primarily. I just want us to get a little closer and to… I don’t know, convince him that it is worth to give this a try?” 

Mitch smiled at his best friend. “Whatever it is, Scotty, you’ll do it. Have fun and let me know when you’re not coming home tonight, okay?” 

Scott nodded. “I will, as always. Bye…”

“Bye Scotty.” 

Scott left the building and got his bike out. He decided to not take an uber for a change. The weather was nice and he wanted to be out and enjoy the fresh air. 

The ride over to Avi’s place took him twenty minutes, twenty five with a quick stop at a florist where he picked out a few beautiful bright sunflowers for Avi and once he arrived, he secured his bike and rang the doorbell, excited to see Avi again. 

It had been almost two weeks since they had first talked about a possible date. Plannings had been delayed, because they both got sick with the stomach flu, first Scott and then Avi. Since they had been going to and from work together, it was obvious that Scott had infected Avi.

“Scotty, finally! How are you?” Avi greeted the tall blonde man when he opened the door. 

“I’m fine, how about you? I’m still sorry that I got you sick. Esther really had to juggle all promo things around. It affected you very bad, too, didn’t it?” Scott asked as they hugged and then walked into the house together. 

“It did” Avi replied. “But it’s not your fault, you didn’t know. Better now that I have enough time to get fit again for tour. I’ll be leaving in three weeks, can you imagine?” 

Scott shook his head. “I can’t… I am so used to working with you and your team by now… and once you are on tour, I don’t know what I will do. I mean I only have a few weeks left, but you won’t be back before I finish my internship and it’s weird to think that the best part is already over…”

Avi smiled. “I get that, but I told you before, I’ll make sure that there’s an open spot just in case you’re thinking about applying to Fantasy after you finished your degree.”

Scott smiled. “Thank you. And right now I really think that I might just join you. At least for a while… I don’t know what else is out there for me after all” he said. “Maybe I can develop myself and be some sort of freelance producer? Work with different musicians?”

Avi nodded. “This sounds like a plan. If you can make time for me?” 

Scott chuckled. “Are you kidding me? You'll always be my number one priority." 

Avi grinned. "Good." 

Scott then noticed that the flowers he had bought were still on his bike. “Wait, I forgot something, gimme just one moment.” He quickly walked back outside and got the bouquet. “Here” he said as he approached Avi again. “I hope you like sunflowers, I just love how bright and happy they look.”

Avi smiled brightly when he saw the flowers. “Scott, they’re beautiful, I love sunflowers. Thank you so much.” He took the bouquet and smelled them. “So good. I’ll put them into a vase and then we can go outside, I prepared some ribs for us, we can have coleslaw and some grilled corn, if that’s something you would like?”

“Yes, I really love ribs” Scott replied.

“Good… I wasn’t sure what to cook, but you enjoyed the ribs when we were in the restaurant and…” 

“Avi, you’re rambling again” the blonde said warmly. “It is fine. I actually like BBQ a lot, but in my apartment it's just not possible."

Avi smiled. "Good. I just wasn't sure if ribs are date material, but then I thought that we've been drunk together and that I basically cried my heart out to you, so you've seen me at my worst already." He shrugged his shoulders. "Anyway…" he took a vase and put the sunflowers in and then took them outside to put on the already set table. "Sit down, Scott, what are you drinking?" 

"I see wine glasses, so I'll have some for dinner but for now, I could go for a huge glass of water…" Scott said. "But I can…"

"No need to, got everything right here." Avi opened a little portable cooler and got a bottle of water out. "Here you go. I need to look after the ribs and put the corn on the grill, so I think we can eat soon. Hope you're hungry."

“Mmhm…” Scott replied as he downed two glasses of water. He then looked at Avi, who was standing in front of the BBQ and looked at the ribs before he put some corn on it, too. Scott was curious, got up and joined the musician. “Looks delicious…” he said. 

Avi chuckled. “Well it is… I marinated the ribs myself, slow cooked them for the bigger part of the day, they better be good.”

Scott chuckled. “You spend the whole day cooking for us and are asking yourself if it’s suitable for a date? Honestly, I am bound to return the favour some time soon and I can do chicken and some casseroles, but nothing as decadent as this” he explained.

Avi shrugged his shoulders. “You really don’t need to anyways, Scott. I love doing all this, but it is too much work to do it just for myself, so I took the chance. And I don’t mind some chicken or casseroles. Whatever you cook will be good. Or we could cook together?” He turned the corn cobs and took the ribs from the grill. “We’ll think about it.”

“I’d love to cook with you, I think I can learn a lot” Scott replied. 

Avi grinned. “Good, it’s a date.”

Scott raised an eyebrow. “Already planning the second date before you know how the first date is going to end up?” 

Avi chuckled. “Well I am trying to be optimistic for a change, don’t you ruin this for me.”

Scott giggled and then put his arm around his waist. "I won't, because I am positive that we'll have a second date, soon.” The blonde leaned down and pressed a chaste kiss on Avi’s temple.

Avi beamed when he felt Scott’s lips on his skin, but he didn’t really know how to react.. “Would you uncork the wine? The corn is almost ready…” 

Scott nodded. “Sure.” 

~

After dinner they tidied everything up together and, after Scott insisted, even did the dishes. 

"Thanks…" Avi said as he wiped down the sink. "What do you want to do now? We could watch a movie, or… I don't know, I am not good at this." He shook his head. "Sorry."

Scott took his hand. "You're not. And yes, we could watch a movie, I like movies. But I saw that you found a spot for your hammock."

Avi looked down at their interlaced hands and realised that he liked the feel of it. "I did. I also started to build it earlier, but I wasn't able to finish on my own…"

Scott grinned. "Do you know what I want to do?"

Avi furrowed his brows. "No?"

"Finish building the hammock and then get comfortable there?" Scott replied.

"Errrm…" Avi scratched the back of his head with his free hand. "If you really want to?"

Scott nodded. "I do. Unless you don't want to be all cuddly and cosy in the hammock with me?"

Avi chuckled. "Of course I would like to… cuddle? We could stargaze if you want to?"

"This is a wonderful idea" Scott replied. He squeezed Avi's hand softly before pulling him with him. "Come on, let's go."