Prologue

"Scott? I'm home! Scott? Living room?"

"Give me just one second!" Scott sighed deeply and got up from his bed. He went into the tiny living room of the apartment he was sharing with his best friend. "What's up, Mitch? Why did I have to get up?"

"There was a letter for you in the mailbox" Mitch said excited.

Scott rolled his eyes. "Where else would a letter be?"

"Ha ha, very funny" Mitch sassed and threw the thin white envelope over to his friend as if it was a frisbee.

"Thanks" Scott said sarcastically as he picked it up from the ground and opened it without checking where it had come from.

"And?" Mitch asked impatiently.

"It's from Fantasy Records" Scott said flatly.

"Yes, and?" Mitch asked.

Scott sighed. "I got an internship."

"That's AMAZING" Mitch exclaimed. "Scott, finally! You can move on and finish your studies!"

But Scott just shrugged his shoulders and let himself fall down onto the sofa.

"What is it? Aren't you excited?" Mitch asked. When he noticed how upset his best friend was, he at down next to him. "Scotty..."

"It's just Fantasy Records..."

"And?"

"It's not Sony... or Columbia..." Scott said.

Mitch sighed. "I know your biggest dream is working for the label Beyoncé is signed under. But for now you are just a student, you cannot expect to sit in the studio with Beyoncé. You need to work your way up and either record company will be a good starting point. Right now you need to fill you CV!"

"I know, Mitch, but Fantasy? Come on, that's grandpa music! I mean their biggest emerging star right now is Avriel Kaplan and the music he makes... urgh. Imagine I had to work with him? All he does is play his guitar and sing deep bass notes" Scott spoke up.

"I understand that this is not what you want to do, Scotty, but just hold on. It's just three months, isn't it?" Mitch wanted to know. "I am sure that you'll be able to make the most of it. And you can apply to all the major labels after you graduated." He smiled at his best friend. "This is an opportunity, Scott, not a punishment."

Scott sighed. "I guess you're right... I should call them tomorrow and let them know what I am interested..."

Mitch smiled happily. "Good good. We should celebrate tonight" he said. "I'll go and get a bottle of wine, you call your Mama and tell her about your good news."

"But..." Scott tried to protest.

"Uh uh. You haven't called her in ages. She went as far as to ask my parents about how you're doing" Mitch said as he was putting on his shoes. "Seriously. She'll be happy to know that you've finally found a placement!"

"Urgh you are starting to sound just like her, Mitchy" Scott said, but he fished out his phone and called his mother.

~

The next morning at 9.15 Scott was fit and ready to call his contact at Fantasy Records.

"Good morning, this is Chloe from Fantasy Records. How can I help you?"

"Good morning, Chloe, this is Scott Hoying. I am calling, because I got an acceptance letter from your company about my internship" Scott greeted back.

"Scott Hoying? Yes. You're doing this internship as a part of your studies, right?"

"Yes, I am studying music production and management and still need to complete my final internship before I can write my thesis and graduate" Scott explained.

"That sounds nice. I am just opening your application so I know who you are... yes, Scott Hoying, there we are. You'll be with us for three months, right?"

"Yes" Scott said.

"Good. Now, I assume that you are both interested in production and management or is there one thing you want to focus on?"

"Well a dream of mine would be to see both sides. I really want to be in a studio for some time and also see how you manage everything..." Scott said, trying his very best to sound excited.

"Good, then we might have something you could like. One of our musicians, Avi Kaplan is just finalising his second EP. He still has some studio time and then video shoots and promo dates over the next couple of weeks. Would that be something for you?"

"Yes, sure. Avi Kaplan. Sounds like a great opportunity to really learn something."

"Wonderful. When do you want to start? Avi will be in the studio for the next four days, you could start any day or if that is too soon, just let me know when and we'll adjust."

"I could start tomorrow" Scott said immediately, not wanting to loose any more time.

"Alright, I will send you an email with the details and some forms I need you to fill out. You'll need to come to our headquarters tomorrow at... let's say 8.30 where we talk through your requirements and wishes and then you'll go straight to the studio. Sounds like a plan?"

"Yes, it does. I'll be there at 8.30 with all the forms" Scott replied. "Thank you so much for the opportunity, Chloe!"

"You a welcome, Scott. I hope you'll be able to learn a lot and make the most of your time here. I'll see you tomorrow. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to call me."

"I will, thank you, Chloe. Bye."

"Bye."

Scott put down his phone. "I'm going to work with Avi Kaplan..." he said more to himself.

"Everything okay, Scott? You looked like you just saw a ghost..." Mitch joined him in the kitchen, his hair still damp.

"Avi Kaplan..." Scott just said, sighing deeply. "I am going to do my internship with Avi Kaplan. What did I do, why does Karma hate me so much?"

Mitch rolled his eyes. "Honestly, Scott? At Fantasy Records this is the best thing that could happen. Think of your CV, Scott. Avi is in his genre the most aspiring musician at the moment. You can and should use this name for your advantage! And Avi seems to be a really nice guy, you'll probably have a good time working with him and learn a lot. Think positive, Scott" the smaller man said as he poured himself a cup of coffee and grabbed his yoghurt from the fridge.

Scott sighed. "Maybe you're right."

"Cross out that maybe, Scotty. I am always right. When are you going to start?"

"Tomorrow" Scott replied.

Mitch raised an eyebrow. "We'll have a lot to do today. You need some new outfits and a new haircut. Damn boy..."

"And you are just searching for an excuse to go shopping" Scott quipped.

Mitch just grinned. "You love shopping with me" he said. "Shall we leave in thirty?"

Scott rolled his eyes, but he couldn't help but smile. "Thirty it is."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: New story! Hope you enjoy. Let me know what you think :)