Early Morning

It was 5.40 in the next morning when Scott stepped outside the apartment complex he and Mitch lived in. He was tired. So tired. Yet, he knew that the day would be very exciting, it definitely worth getting up for. 

Avi pulled up next to him only a few minutes later. Scott opened the door and smiled at Avi. "Morning..." he mumbled.

Avi grinned. "Good morning."

"Urgh, how are you so happy and... awake early in the morning?" Scott replied.

Avi shrugged his shoulders. "Long and important day coming up. Also... here." He handed Scott a thermos mug. "Tea. Good and strong."

Scott took the mug. "Thank you. But you didn't buy this thermos mug just for me, right?"

Avi laughed. "No. I didn't. I have so many of them scattered around everywhere" he explained and took a sip from his own mug. "If you get hungry, I have some leftover quesadilla from last night.."

Scott shook his head. "How are you so kind?" 

Avi checked the address in his GPS once more, before he looked at Scott. "No offence, but you don't really seem like the kind of guy who is perfectly prepared for such a long day with no coffee shops near the place where we'll shoot..." He then looked around before he drove off.

Scott took a sip from his tea mainly to hide his blush. "Guilty..." he mumbled. "I mean I packed some food. Like... a few bananas and crackers to get me by until catering, but quesadillas are much better."

Avi smiled at him. "Well then, I'll trade some of the quesadillas for a banana and some crackers. Might as well throw some tomatoes and mini cucumbers into the mix, fresh from the garden..." 

"Thank you..." Scott said. "I'll get back to you in an hour or so, I am very bad at having such an early breakfast." 

Avi smiled. "I get that. I feel the same which is why I always have something with me when I haven't eaten at home." He steered the car out onto the highway. 

"Mmhm..." Scott just hummed and then fell silent. He looked out of the window where the sun was rising slowly. 

There was soft music in the background which Scott didn't know, but which he liked a lot. It was music which was similar to the kind of music Avi made, but still, he liked Avi's music more. The silence was comfortable but after a while, Scott just needed to do something so he wouldn't fall asleep. He looked over to Avi, who was focused on the street but still hummed to the music every now and then. 

"What is it, Scott?" The bearded man asked after a moment. "Getting tired?"

Scott nodded. "Yeah..." he said and sat up a little straighter and took a sip from his tea. "It's still way too early."

Avi chuckled. "Well..." he began. "I really like the morning. The sunrise, the clear air, the quiet. I've written a lot of songs in the morning..." he said. 

"I will never understand morning people..." Scott replied. 

Avi shrugged his shoulders. "I am not necessarily a morning person. I like sleeping in, too. But still, there is a certain kind of magic surrounding the morning. When I was a child, I used to stargaze with Esther and Joshua, my brother, we fell asleep outside and ever so often I would wake up from the first rays of the morning sun. It always fascinated me."

Scott noticed that Avi smiled when he mentioned his siblings. "I didn't know that you have a brother, too..."

"I do" he replied. "He's amazing, but I don't see him that often. He moved to Israel after his studies and found his love, so he stayed there. I miss him a lot, but then again, I am happy that he found his happiness. And he'll come home and finally see me play live on tour."