- imagine #43 //

The explosion was so unexpected that you had no chance to hide. You felt the shockwave hit a nearby building with your inert body. Pain spread over you, but what worried you more was that you felt stunned. Something heavy fell on you and you felt the metallic taste of blood in your mouth.

"Lieutenant!"

"All right!" you hissed in pain, "I'll be fine."

Somehow you managed to slide off a piece of metal plating that crushed your side. You found your blaster in the rubble and awkwardly stood on your feet. You were shaking all over like a leaf in the wind.

"Lieutenant! Black Squadron is coming. They're going to blow everything up! We must run!"

"To the ships! Tell everyone to back off. That's an order!"

Only when the ships broke away from the battlefields and the Resistance X-Wings passed you while the firing started, you saw the enormity of the destruction. What had once been a First Order's city now resembled a pile of rubble. However, you managed to evacuate the inhabitants, at least as many as you managed.

You rested your forehead against the cool glass and closed your eyes. You felt as if your head was still filled with the sounds of explosions, every part of your body ached. But you were going back to base, you were safe.

"Lieutenant Y/L/N, congratulations. You've accomplished something practically impossible. I'm glad you came back to us safe and sound." General Organa smiled gently at you.

"We've done our part, ma'am. The credit goes to Black Squadron, they razed First Order to the ground." you answered and you felt like the man standing next to you moved slightly, grunting significantly.

"Commander Dameron knows how I appreciate his skills and what he does. You don't have to feed his ego anymore. It's already quite big."

You smirked and nodded to Leia.

"Thank you both, now go back to your quarters and get yourself tidy. Y/N, shouldn't you visit med bay?"

"I'll be fine, thank you, ma'am."

You left the meeting room and headed straight for the quarters. You dreamed of using the refresher, of getting rid of clothes soaked in the smell of smoke.

"Y/N!"

You turned at the familiar voice and looked at Poe. He was still standing near the door, smiling mischievously at you. His frizzy hair was messy from his helmet, and his orange jumpsuit was slightly unbuttoned.

"Commander." you answered by crossing your arms over your chest and being practically sure what you were going to hear next.

"Will you go out with me?"

"No."

"It was worth trying! Maybe tomorrow?"

You shook your head pityingly and started walking towards your room. You really wanted to wash up.

"Y/N! Will you go out with me?"

You rolled your eyes as a familiar voice echoed above your head during breakfast. Poe had been doing this for several months. He was stubborn and unpredictable. He didn't care if you just ate, worked or talked to your superiors.

"Maybe when you finally go out with him, Dameron will leave you alone."

Leia recently suggested when Poe announced after the briefing was over that he had a very important question. It was obviously meant for you. The whole room bursts out laughing, and you wanted to collapse into the ground and take Poe with you there.