- imagine #6 //

You were laying in bed with Poe's arm wrapped around you as you snuggled up close to him, thankful for a quiet morning. A rarity in the resistance. It felt like forever since you could just lay in bed without thinking about the First Order's next move. It felt refreshing. This feeling got you thinking.

"Do you ever think about the future?" You said out of nowhere. Poe's gaze moved from the ceiling to you. "You know, outside of the resistance and where the First Order is no more."

Poe remained silent for a moment. Of course he's thought about his future when all of this is over. All the possible outcomes for it had you in the middle. He couldn't imagine having it any other way. "All the time." He told you.

You shifted so you were now looking up to him. "I imagine that we would move to a small planet, one that has greenery. Definitely not Jakku." Poe said with a little laugh, thinking back to what happened on Jakku. He hated the never ending sand and the sweltering sun beaming down on him.

"We?" You asked. When Poe told you he had thought of a future outside of the resistance you didn't think it meant he thought of one with you.

"Of course 'we'. I couldn't imagine a future without you." Poe pressed a kiss on your forehead before carrying on telling you what his ideal future entails. "As I was saying, we would move to a small planet. There we would have a house by the lake with a massive garden so our kids and BB-8 can run around in it. We would sit on the swing on the porch and watch them play. I would teach the kids how to fly and you would be way too overprotective of them." Poe let out a chuckle as you snorted at how accurate that would be. "And we would grow old together in peace without having to worry about whether we're coming home that day."

"I'd like that very much."

"Really?" Poe asked, afraid that it sounded stupid.

"Of course, Dameron." You moved so you were straddling him. Your hands wrapped around his neck as you leaned forward closing the gap between the two of you. Poe couldn't wait any longer and began feverishly kissing your lips. Your little moment soon got interrupted by BB-8 relaying that the General wanted to see you and Poe.

"Duty calls." Poe groaned as you left his embrace to get ready to see the General.

The General needed you and your squadron for a mission. Everything was going okay until about halfway through, when TIE fighters were on your tail. You tried to evade them but there were too many of them. Your ship was damaged beyond repair and the fuel was running low. You were surrounded by the enemy with no way out. Backup wouldn't come in time and if they did they'd just get killed along with everyone in your ship. You knew this was the end for you and how it was going to crush Poe. Just this morning you were talking about your future and now you are waiting for your impending death. "Captain?" One of your friends said bringing you out of your thoughts. "What are we going to do?"

"We're —" You inhaled. "We're going to destroy everything that could give them information on the Resistance." You told them, trying to convey confidence of your decision in your voice.

"I'll let the General know what's going on."  Your friend, and fellow squadron member, went away to let everyone else know what the plan was. You closed your eyes, taking a moment before radioing in to base. You knew what you had to do: you had to tell the General that one of her squadrons isn't coming home, and you had to tell Poe that you weren't coming home. 

Force, the mere thought of that broke your heart.

"General, this is captain (Y/L/N). Do you copy?" You waited, nothing. "This is Captain (Y/L/N), is anyone there?"

"We're here, Captain." Relief flooded over you as you heard the General's voice. "What is your status?"

"Not good. We're surrounded." An explosion shook the ship, interrupting for a moment before you carried on. "Our ship is badly damaged and we have no fuel." You told her. Leia didn't need to hear anymore. She knew what you meant and that was she was losing a whole squadron today. "It's not good, General."

"No, no, no." You heard someone say in the background. It sounded a lot like Poe. You cursed to yourself for him being there. It was going to make this whole thing much harder. A single tear rolled down your cheek. "Don't say that, (Y/N). Help is on its way." Poe was now speaking into the radio, probably taking it straight out of the General's hand.

"We just don't have that kind of time." You slowed your breathing.

"Poe, listen to me. Do you remember when we first met? I was just a kid hell bent on revenge after witnessing my parents death and do you remember what you told me?" Poe nodded, even though you couldn't see him. "You told me that the path of revenge will get me killed and it's the path of justice I needed to be on."

Poe remembers that day as if it was yesterday. You had almost gotten yourself and others, including him, killed in a mission. He wasn't angry though. He knew the pain you were going through. Instead he settled on giving you a pep talk. "Promise me you'll take your own advice. Promise me you won't get yourself killed for revenge."

"(Y/N)..."

"Promise me, okay?!" You shouted, tears were now falling freely. There was another explosion. You knew it wasn't long now. "Poe Dameron, I love you. I have since the moment you saved me that day. You are the best thing to happen to my life and I am sorry that our life together got cut short. I can't wait to see you again, Flyboy."

And then it was silent.