- imagine #13 //

Waiting for your death was tiring. Your ship had gone down after being caught by debris from another destroyed X-Wing. Poe hadn't been able to keep away. Now, you were both trapped and cut off from any communications from your fellow Black Squadron pilots and anyone back at base. But you were together. That happened to be enough, for a while.

You sighed, rubbing your blue cold hands together. Poe had gone off in search of shelter a while ago and you were beginning to get tired and worried. Somehow, you knew this was your end. Everything you had lived for had come down to this very moment. It was ten minutes later that he appeared, looking disheartened.

"Sorry, sweetheart," he shrugged and your head dropped. He stood in front of you for a moment before sitting next to you underneath his X-Wing that only seemed to be teasing you. He had been clipped by enemy fire as he followed your nose dive. The idea of trying to fly it with both of you in the one seat cockpit, surrounded by First Order fighters didn't have great odds, and then there was the issue of your unknown injuries. You'd managed to smooth out your landing as much as possible, but still, blood and bruising had bloomed against your skin immediately.

He pulled you into his arms and for a second, you felt safe. "I wish you hadn't followed me," you mumbled in a voice filled with unshed tears.

"Do you remember the first time we met?" He asked softly and took your hand in his as you glanced up at him.

"I guess, yeah," A smile graced your face and he returned it, but it didn't meet his eyes.

"I'd seen you around. When you first arrived at the base and you know why I noticed you?" A head shake from you prompted him to continue, "All you did was try and make other people's days better... You helped everyone and expected nothing from anyone in return."

You didn't think you were that selfless.

"I noticed you before we met too," you grinned, "actually, it was BB-8 I noticed."

"Hey!"

"I mean he's pretty loud. I suppose it was hard not to notice you either, with the good looks and all," he laughed before his expression became sombre.

"I didn't think it would end like this," you blinked and he smiled into your hair as you shifted to sit between his legs, back against his chest. He didn't complain or tease, he just wanted to hold you.

Time was of the essence.

"Yeah," you sighed because the future was something you had quietly been planning in your mind. Not just your future either, it was the thought of a family that you were excited about.

"I wanted so many kids," he began and kept tears fell.

You sniffled, "I wanted so many of your kids too," and he laughed softly again, hot breath tickling the back of your aching neck.

You heard something in the sky, out of sight and the two of you glanced up at the same time. Bad news. Your heart pounded in your chest, this was it. This was the end of your life.

"How did they find us so quickly, and why do they care?" You were almost angry because it wasn't enough. Your life had not been satisfyingly long enough yet.

Technically, you knew they wanted you dead because Black Squadron had recently received information the First Order was looking for, information that was meant for their eyes only. You and Poe had seen it and now they needed you gone.

The pair of you were not to be spared. You had caused trouble that they definitely didn't want, time and time again. Love was not part of the equation.

"Hey, hey," he mumbled, kissing the top of your head before standing and holding a hand out to you, "dance with me."

"What?"

"The first time we met, you told me you couldn't dance. Our first dance was a slow song, so all we did was sway. That was when I knew," he grasped your bloodied hands in his and pulled you to your feet, immediately dropping his hands to your waist, and yours linking together behind his neck, leaning against him.

"It was that moment, that I knew that you were the girl I wanted to marry. I wanted to have kids and grow old with you, tell stories about fighting for something worth fighting for to our grandkids. I shouldn't have waited. I knew."

"I know," your forehead bumped against his chest as stars exploded in your head, bright and painful. With a wavering voice, you continued, "I would have said yes."

There was a pause before you spoke again, "yes, I'll marry you."

You both knew there was no chance, but for the last five minutes of your life, you got to pretend you were in the midst of your first dance.

"Then, Mrs. Dameron, will you have this dance?" He asked, your eyes gazing desperately into his before he caught your lips in a kiss, his arms slipping around the small of your back and pulling you impossibly closer to him.

The sound of TIE fighters drew closer, and he began singing softly under his breath, tears welling in both of your eyes. All you could do was hold one another and neither of you flinched as the heat exploded within your bodies.

It didn't hurt a bit.