- imagine #37 //

— requested by awritercalledemma

"I think you should make the move," protested Finn, nudging my shoulder. "Poe isn't one to get nervous around anyone, but when it comes to you —"

"He freezes up." I finished for him, sighing as I set my headset down on the desk in front of me. "I know, you've said so a thousand times." I looked up at Finn and knit my eyebrows together. "Aren't you supposed to be training or something? I know I'm not that well informed all the time but General Organa said you might slack off your duties by coming and seeing me today."

Finn mumbled something under his breath. "Really? She said that? 'Slacking'?"

"Slacking." Finn made his way towards the door as I hollered at him, "Hey, what did she tell you to do that you might 'slack off'?" He didn't answer. 

I spun back around and set the pair of headphones on my head. I heard a staticky voice through the speakers. "Everything all right there, sweetheart?" 

I guffawed. "Don't call me that, flyboy." But I smiled anyway. "FN is being lazy, apparently."

"Yeah, sure. Not lazier than you, y/n, what are the opposing ship positions?"

"Okay, so you know big words. One's north of you. Red 4, two on your tail. Probably going to open fire in 3...2...1..." I counted down as I saw Poe's mark on the swerve a little. "Nice dodge."

"I know." I could hear his sly grin through the sentence.

"Red 2 and 3, you're in charge of him because he's getting muted, copy?" I rolled my eyes, hovering my finger over the microphone symbol signaling speech was on.

"Copy," the Red squadron chorused. Almost immediately, Geffson, Red 5, started laughing. "Dameron says he misses you." 

"Tough luck," I smiled. "Plus, you guys need to get focused. You guys are on a mission and I'm simply second-hand leading from Home Base." I sighed, un-muting Poe. "You're lucky we're on work hours."

He scoffed. "Imagine what we'd be doing if we weren't."

I watched Squdrons Red 1 through 5 land smoothly on the platform. I looked out for Poe's orange and white X-wing, seeing Poe diseject BB-8 from the flyer. BB-8 spotted me almost right away, rolling over and knocking into my knee.

"You know, you do that so often, it doesn't hurt anymore." I rubbed his metal helmet. "Antannae's bent, you know?" BB beeped his acknowledgment of the antannae. "Yeah, Poe's an imbecile when it comes to your external wires."

"A what?" I felt a strong pair of arms wrap around my waist from behind and I twirled around, holding my hands delicately in Poe's. 

"He found us out, BeeBee," I raised an eyebrow at the droid. He beeped that he didn't say anything against Poe. "An imbecile. You know what it means? Careless."

"I could care less." I laughed at his pun. I hated that his worst puns made me laugh. It was great.

I rested my head on his chest. "Awfully flirty today, Dameron." I felt a small smile grow on his face. "Why was that?"

"You were flirting back, Ms. Y/L/N."

He didn't answer my question. "Why was that?" I emphasized the last word.

"Because we like each other."

"I sure hope we do," I laughed, looking up at his darkish eyes. "Or else this wouldn't be working out."

He stared at me. And I stared at him. "Did you do something to your lips?"

"Chapstick because they were getting dry. What kind of question is that?"

He was sort of quiet for a second. "May I kiss you now?"

"Yes, Dameron. And I'll kiss you back."

His lips were softer than they looked. Softer than they should have been for such a hard-headed person anyway. My hard-headed person.