- imagine #33 //

Poe's trademark grin was nowhere to be seen as he watched the squadron of X-wings landing. The communications systems had malfunctioned in the middle of a mission you were leading, and he had no way of knowing that you were safe. One of the pilots had managed to get a connection for long enough to tell the base that a pilot had been killed, but the connection was lost before they could give a name.

Poe held his breath as orange jumpsuits began to spill from the X-wings, his anxiety increasing when he didn't spot you in the crowd. The landing space was packed with people greeting the returning pilots, and it was beginning to feel claustrophobic.

"(Y/N)! (Nickname)!" he yelled, trying to see over the crowds. He caught the arm of a medic walking past him. "Have you seen Dameron?" he demanded.

The medic frowned in confusion. "You're Dameron, sir?"

Poe sighed in frustration. "(Y/N) Dameron. My wife?"

Comprehension dawned on the medic's face. "I haven't seen her yet, I'm sorry."

Poe released the man's arm and ran his hands through his hair nervously. Where the hell were you?

His eyes focused on one of the ships only a few metres from where he stood. His heart thudded painfully in his chest as he watched a stretcher being wheeled down the ramp. A blanket covered the dead pilot, hiding the face.

Suddenly Poe's world came crashing down around him. He'd seen almost every member of your squadron, except for you. Surely that meant....

A cry of anguish burst from his lips, and he took off running towards the stretcher. Tears stung his eyes, and the shouts and cries and laughs of the crowd faded to silence as he sprinted towards the stretcher, feeling certain that he had lost you.

"Poe!"

He skidded to a halt, turning and searching the crowd in confusion. He couldn't have imagined your voice, surely? Tears streamed down his cheeks as he began to believe he had, until his eyes landed on an orange-clad figure limping towards him.

You winced as you accidentally put weight on your newly injured ankle in your attempt to run towards your husband. He was already running to you, and barely a second later had swept you up in his arms.

"Never scare me like that again," Poe sobbed into your shoulder, holding you tightly against his chest. You wrapped your arms around his back, one hand going to play with his dark hair soothingly.

"Shh, I'm here," you whispered, burying your face in his shoulder and inhaling deeply, feeling the adrenaline and grief of the mission leaving you as you breathed in the smell of home.

"I saw the body and I...I thought...." His voice trailed off as he pulled away to look at you. Tears welled in your eyes.

"It was Jon," you told him, your bottom lip quivering as you tried not to cry. "He was right next to me, I tried to warn him but-,"

"There was nothing you could've done," he told you gently, cupping your face so that you looked into his soft brown eyes. "You're hurt," he added in a panicked tone, suddenly noticing the deep gash on your forehead.

"It's nothing," you insisted, wiping your tears away. "I can't go to the medics right now...he'll be there, and his f-family, and I can't face-,"

Poe pulled you into his chest, pressing a kiss to the top of your head. "It's alright, sweetheart. I'll patch you up in our room, you need to rest anyway."

You nodded shakily, threading your fingers through his as you took a step to follow him inside. You cried out in pain as your ankle buckled beneath you, and Poe was there in an instant to scoop you into his arms.

"Thank you," he whispered into your hair, making you frown as you wrapped your arms around his neck to avoid falling.

"What for?"

He pressed a kiss to the uninjured side of your forehead, his lips lingering there as he replied.

"For coming home to me."