- imagine #21 //

soulmate au:: part two

 ゚+..。*゚+

When you were younger, your mother used to tell you stories about her soulmate, your father. The best story, at least in your opinion, was the story of how they met. As you'd sit at her feet grasping onto each word she's said, you liked to imagine what it would be like when you met your own soulmate. And this? This definitely wasn't it.

You stood in the middle of the street as a rock in a stream. Unmoving as people flowed around you, you heard some grumbling at the inconvenience of having to take a few extra steps. Everything swirled around you in a blur of indistinguishable shapes and colors. It had to be him, your soulmate.

"Are you alright, dear?" The woman was frail and spoke softly. It's the same old woman from the market. You looked down at her, trying to focus on the words she'd said. "Are you alright?" She placed a hand on your arm this time.

Were you okay? You certainly didn't feel okay. Honestly, you felt ready to throw up. "I'm fine, but —" you looked around at the passing faces, not one of them recognizable.

"I understand." The woman patted your shoulder, smiling. "He went towards the market."

The market! You looked down the road, it's not very far off.

"Wait." Your attention snapped back to the old woman "How did you —"

She laughed, the gesture exaggerating the lines in her face. "No time for questions, go!" She nudged you in the direction of the market and before you could protest or thank her or think about how strange that whole exchange was she'd disappeared back into the stream of citizens.

As the woman had said, there was no time for questions. You turned and started weaving your way back towards the market. You could almost see the covered tops of the market booths standing like hopeful beacons in the cobbled square. You're so close. So close to your destiny. Every step had the knots in your stomach twisting tighter. It was nauseating. As the market neared and the walkway traffic thinned, you found yourself running. The impact of your boots against the stone ground sent vibrations up your legs. The sensation grounds you, keeping you in the now, distracting you from the nerves.

Buildings flew past in monotone streaks until finally opening up into the town square. Market booths lined the perimeter and formed three rows down the center. The stands were packed tight together in attempts to fit as many in as possible. The only problem is it meant more objects to obscure your view and the wandering shoppers added to it. You had to find him — fast.

"Find who?"

You'd completely forgotten about your intertwined consciences. Quickly making your way down the first aisle, you looked around the area searching for anyone who could resemble him.

"Poe, where are you?"

"Where am I?"

You maneuvered around a group of girls next to the fruit stand. "Yes. Where are you?"

"Why do —"

The old woman's words come back to you. "There's no time for questions, Poe." Turning down the next aisle you dodged through a couple's conversation. Had your mother been there she'd chastise you for being impolite.

"I'm on a planet." Poe finally said.

You rolled your eyes, conveying annoyance to him through thought. "Which one? I need you to be specific."

"For a girl with no time, you sure have a lot of questions."

The urge to scream rose up like bile in your throat. You couldn't deal with his antics right now, could he not feel how important this situation was? "Please, just tell me where you are." You reached the end of the current aisle quicker than the others. There's only one to go. The nerves you'd been trying to suppress were now teetering on the edge of panic. He had to be here.