Chapter 31) Last Ones Awake

isobeljones2000

Kwazii's POV: Kate and Peso had been gone for a while, after taking Christian to his bedroom. For once I didn't feel the nagging feeling of jealousy and protectiveness that I normally felt when I knew they were together. Peso had saved Kate's life. That was all that I needed.

Tweak was lying on a thick blanket, breathing heavily even in sleep. I hated that we had to knock her out to stop her pain, I remembered Tweak's fear of being weak. She hated having to rely on other people, especially if she was hurt. A reason I loved her - her fierce independence and individuality.

"Kwazii?" I heard her voice and snapped out of my thoughts, immediately leaning down over Tweak.

"You're awake! Are you all right?"

She looked slightly annoyed. "Sure, I'm fine. Just got bitten by a massive spider and am poisoned for three days, gonna feel awful. And I had to be knocked out. I'm gonna be a massive liability, Kwazii. I'm gonna slow you down."

I had nothing to say for a moment. "Tweak - we're not going anywhere just yet. Christian's hurt too, don't forget. And we still have to figure out what to do with the crazy dude over there." I gestured to Lupo.

Tweak didn't look that reassured. She was shaking, unable to control the spasms that raced through her limbs. As she tried to move she grimaced, putting a hand to the bite mark on her waist. 'Extreme pain at the wound, spasms, shaking,' I remembered her telling me. It was a spider bite all right.

"Don't move Tweak."

She looked defiant. "I'll move if I want to."

"Please, Tweak. I know it hurts. But you can't move, not like this."

"I hate this..." She muttered under her breath, just loud enough for me to hear her.

Behind her I saw Peso mouthing to me, his eyes questioning. He was holding a syringe in his flipper.

'Shall I knock her out again?' he was saying.

And I didn't know the answer. I knew she would move and hurt herself even more, so the answer was obvious. But I also knew she hated to be weak.

"Do it," I said quietly. Peso heard me - but so did Tweak.

"What? Kwazii?" The green bunny looked questioning, but as I looked at Peso coming over her body her eyes widened and a terrible realisation came into her eyes. She had seen what he was holding.

"No! Kwazii I don't need -"

Peso sunk the syringe into her skin and she was cut off. I knew it was the right thing to do.

But the unforgiving look in her wide eyes as she sunk back into unconsciousness told me a differnet story. I kissed her gently on the cheek.

"Sleep well, Tweak. I love you."

Peso came up to me, saying softly: "This one lasts longer. Seven hours, so she should wake up around morning."

"Thanks Peso," I said. "And -"

He turned around expectantly, looking slightly nervous. I smiled. "I approve. Kate and you are perfect together."

He smiled so widely I thought his face would burst. Then he raced forward and hugged me tightly.

"Thank you Kwazii."

"Peso?" I heard the sweet sound of my twin sister speaking. "Are you cheating on me?"

He looked around, blushing bright red. I simply gave him a thumbs up, grinned at Kate to tell her it was okay, and settled down next to Tweak to sleep. Would everything be all right?