When He Calls - Zane

I had gone back to school just days ago and everything seemed to be getting back to normal. Well, at least a little normal. I had gotten many questions about where I was and why I was out for a week and some days, but I always just brushed the questions off with I was sick and took extra days to make sure I was fine.

I wasn't sick.

But I wasn't fine.

My mother kept a strong watch on me now and barely let me out of the house unless I was going to see Zane or study with a friend. If I wanted to go on a walk by myself I had to lie and tell her that I was going with someone. And even then it was hard to get by her because she wanted my friends to come directly to my door so I was never alone between point A and point B.

It was going to be nice to go to college in a couple of months because she was hovering, though I knew it was tough for her to wrap her head around the fact that I was basically kidnapped and tortured and my ninja boyfriend had to save me.

I didn't blame her. In fact, I knew she was right to worry.

I was sitting at the counter doing homework when my phone rang and my mother glanced up from her reading of the newspaper and looked at me with a strange look. I eyed my phone, and then glanced back to her, still debating if I should answer. 

"Are you going to get that?" she finally asked after an awkward moment of silence, her still staring at the ringing phone in front of me. I looked down and saw a picture of Zane kissing me on the cheek glorified on the screen and I smiled, wrapping my hand around the device and bringing it to my ear. "Hey," I smiled, already pushing out my chair and standing to my feet. "Hey, Y/N," Zane replied with a light chuckle.

"I was just doing homework, you caught me at a great time," I giggled, waving slightly to my mother to let her know I was going to sit outside. She narrowed her eyebrows and sighed, waving back to me. She had finally given in.

I opened the door and plopped in a chair on the porch, laughing as Zane responded with "As your boyfriend it is in my job description that I am supposed to stop you from doing homework."

"It certainly is, Zane. But you didn't do your job last night."

"Did you have a heavy workload last night?"

I groaned and leaned back in the chair, propping my feet up onto the footstand. "Oh, yes. I had two term papers due and I had barely started either of them. I was at my desk for five hours just typing word after word."

"That's why you don't procrastinate, Y/N," Zane laughed. I rolled my eyes, "Oh because you're so great with time management. I speak to your brothers, Zane. I know that you put off fixing the punching bag after you broke it."

Zane bellowed, a grin most likely sitting on his face. "Well, you are correct, but I only stalled fixing it because I did not want Sensei to make me practice with it again. My hands were sore."

"For a ninja you are very lazy," I reprimanded to which he agreed easily. "So what you were doing last night? You didn't call me back."

"Oh, right! Well, it was a little busy yesterday."

"Oh, do tell," I smiled.

"Well, Cole was very adamant on C/G/N coming over yesterday evening but she was not really in the mood but you know how good he is at persuading people."

"Yeah, I can imagine."

"Yes, well, he asked me to pick her up because apparently she didn't want him to do it and she wanted to walk, but I suggested I make her favorite dinner instead since she isn't doing so well right now, and Cole asked Kai to pick her up instead. Well, no. He didn't really ask him. He said 'Kai, I need you to pick up C/G/N from Ninjago City Park,' and Kai agreed so that happened. And then I made dinner for everyone, and after dinner, Cole and C/G/N disappeared."

"Oh?"

Zane scoffed, "No, nothing of the sorts. They went to go talk about things and I don't exactly know know how it went, but when I went to go ask if they needed anything, they were cuddled together but they both looked like they had been crying."

"Cole's really hurting right now, Zane. With him and his sister fighting, and then Lloyd on top of that? Yeah, I-I think he really needed C/G/N last night."

"Yes, well that is why I did not call last night. I was trying to make sure he was alright and that there was no more fighting in the monastery."

"Have some of the tensions calmed down?"

"For the most part, sure. Cole is still hostile toward Lloyd but I do not blame him. But the monastery is definitely divided, and as Kai says, I am usually the 'switzerland' of the monastery and see both sides to things but Lloyd definitely should have done more. He hasn't called or texted L/G/N at all since she left last week."

"I think Lloyd's hurting, too, Zane. His girlfriend didn't want to talk to him after what happened, and then he had to find out from her captor what actually happened and then she shut everyone out. As L/G/N's best friend I naturally have to take her side to this, but, she should have asked Lloyd for more time instead of just not talking to him. How would you feel if I completely iced you out, no pun intended, and made you feel like it was your own fault."

"I would not feel very good," he responded softly.

I pursed my lips and nodded, curling my legs into me and laying my head on the chair I was resting in. "No, you wouldn't feel good at all. Lloyd was shut out and then his girlfriend up and left, and on top of that her brother, and his teammate, completely blamed him for everything and now he has a divided home. Jay and Nya took Lloyd's side, and maybe I would be on Cole's side but both of them need to make up. L/G/N's mental health is worth more than a family feud."

"You're very wise, Y/N," Zane sighed. I smiled, "I do try."

"How's Sensei feeling about everything?"

"He blamed himself at first for not being able to do more for L/G/N with the security alarms and everything, but I think he is more frustrated at all our bickering. Cole and Lloyd are constantly at reach other's throats and I think Sensei has done all he can for right now. He trained ninja, we are taught to fight. All he can do now is advise us to move on and help L/G/N."

"As long as Cole and Lloyd aren't trying to recruit him for their side," I lightly smiled. "Oh, no. They both have agreed that is a silent line they must not cross."

"Good," I whispered, feeling tired all of a sudden and realizing I had only talked about the others and not about Zane - the person my focus should be on.

"I do not want to talk about my brothers anymore," Zane said abruptly, his tone changing. "Excuse me? You should always want to talk to me," I heard mumbled from the other end and I giggled, hearing Kai's annoyance very clear. Zane groaned and I could hear a chair moving, sensing that he had just arisen from the kitchen table. "I am going to talk in my room, Kai. Can you come get me if you need me?" 

I heard a soft yes and then Zane's footsteps echoed on the floor of the hallway until a door shut. "I'm sorry for focusing on your brothers, Zane. I know you're struggling, too."

I heard Zane plop on his bed and suddenly his voice was magnified, signaling that I was now on speakerphone. "It has not been easy, Y/N."

"I know. I want to come and see you but my mother won't let me leave. I would give you a hug if I could."

"Can I come to you?"

I smiled, running a hand through my hair and nodding, "Please come see me," I said while emphasizing the word please. "We can watch a movie and lay down. I could use some good sleep and you could, too. And you can tell me about how you're feeling and what I can do for you."

"Okay," he said, a dangling sound in his hands which meant his keys. "I am eager now. I need to tell my brothers I am leaving but I will be there as soon as I can. I want to talk to you."

"I'll let you go tell them," I chuckled. "I can't wait to talk to you, Zane."

I prioritized Zane's feelings. I think that is something all of us have to make sure we are doing.