Chapter Thirty-Four

Awkward.

Jungkook felt absolutely awkward.

Taehyung arrived just a few minutes after Jungkook returned from picking all the kids up from school. Luckily for him, Taeji had demanded Taehyung help her with her math homework so Jungkook didn't have to talk to him for a while until they were done. After the celebrity finished, however, he immediately came down to the kitchen where Jungkook was.

Taehyung was standing against the counter next to the refrigerator with a glass of ice water pressed against his lips. He had his eyes glued to his phone, scrolling through Instagram. They had exchanged a few words but Jungkook unintentionally kept it short because of how awkward he felt. However, not talking only made the awkwardness grow and Jungkook began wishing the older man would say something so they could hold a conversation.

Seokjin's words kept replaying in his head. It was beginning to get annoying how much Jungkook kept thinking about it. It was like a broken record, just repeating "I think I know someone who has a little crush on you~...Kim Taehyung. I think you know him." Just thinking about it made Jungkook's ears red since the man in question was standing not too far away from him.

Jungkook didn't want to believe Seokjin. Taehyung said that the man liked drama and Jungkook wondered if this was Seokjin's way of sparking drama in Taehyung's life. He didn't want to think that way as he was a huge fan of Seokjin and no matter how much trash Taehyung talked about him, Jungkook couldn't find himself thinking so badly of Seokjin. But then again, Jungkook couldn't imagine someone like Kim Taehyung having a crush on him. The idea of the man before him even having a crush on someone was unbelievable.

The younger male glanced up at Taehyung for the nth time. The said man was just standing there, leaning his back against the counter beside the refrigerator. He released a bored sigh as he placed his glass atop the counter.

"How's the dog?" Taehyung suddenly asked, making Jungkook drop the towel he was using to wipe the counter. Jungkook quickly averted his eyes, hoping that the older man didn't notice his subconscious staring.

"U-Uh, she's good," Jungkook answered. He looked through the doorway and at Hanbin who had Kkul cuddled up against his chest. The dog moved her head and gave his seven-year-old a lick and Hanbin released a sound of amusement and disgust as he playfully pushed her head away. "She's making him happier."

"You don't feel well?" Taehyung asked, making Jungkook frown. Taehyung caught himself, clearing his throat before adding, "u-uh because you're not talking as much as you usually do."

"I don't talk that much anyway..." Jungkook responded. The awkward tension seemed to rise and Jungkook had to hold back a cringe as he physically felt the awkwardness intensify. He wasn't sure if Taehyung felt it, he certainly hoped he didn't.

The blonde continued talking, "so Jin told me he came over today. Did he annoy you?"

"Not really, we just talked," Jungkook shrugged. "He shared some interesting information."

'You stupid ass' Jungkook mentally cursed himself. He couldn't believe he just said that, knowing that it would only prompt Taehyung to pry.

It was Taehyung's turn to frown. He looked up from his phone, his eyebrows scrunching together as he gave the younger man a questioning look. Jungkook's ears turned even redder than they already were. He was glad his hair was long enough to cover his burning ears and he could only hope that his face wasn't red.

Jungkook pretended he didn't see Taehyung's expression. He went back to silently cleaning before taking the towel towards the laundry room and dropping it in the basket. He lingered in the laundry room for a while, not wanting to go back into the kitchen where the awkward tension was suffocating. Instead of going back to the kitchen, he walked towards the living room, passing by Hanbin and making his way towards Chanwoo and Yunah. The two kids were playing Disneyland checkers. Chanwoo was loudly whining about not being able to be Ariel and Yunah was trying to shush him.