Chapter Fifty-Six

Apologies for the belated and short chapter 💔

---

When Taehyung was asked by Jungkook if he'd pick Hanbin up from his psychiatry appointment, the older man immediately said yes without thinking. But now he was beginning to regret agreeing to pick the boy up as he remembered that Hanbin wasn't yet comfortable enough to be around him without Jungkook's presence. However, he couldn't back out now as Jungkook was attending his first online class of his pathway to getting his business degree and he was already parked in front of the psychiatry office.

"Good going Taehyung," the blonde told himself as he pushes his shades onto his face. "You absolute moron."

He climbed out of his car while cursing himself as he quickly walked towards the doors of the private office. Not only was he about to force Hanbin to be in close proximity to him, but he was also three minutes late.

It's not like he hated being around Hanbin — he loved being around both boys. He just didn't want to make the eight-year-old dislike him — or hate him — more than he already did. Chanwoo seemingly loved him (still insisting on calling him Taejung, but Taehyung was beginning to think it was just mockery now) and he knew his daughters liked — or tolerated — Jungkook.

Taehyung just had to work on his relationship with Hanbin and give the boy time.

When he walked through the door and entered the waiting room, Hanbin quickly looked up from his hands tightly clasped between his stiff knees. His face fell and his eyes darted behind the celebrity in hopes of seeing Jungkook.

"He's busy, bud," Taehyung said, "I came to get you today."

Hanbin paused but finally pushed himself away from the chair, tucking his obvious shaking hands in his hoodie pocket and following Taehyung out of the building.

He opened the door to the back seat and let Hanbin climb in before telling him to buckle himself in and closing the door.

The car ride was tense and awkward. Taehyung wanted to reassure Hanbin that everything was fine and it somewhat hurt his feelings that Hanbin didn't trust him to the point the boy was seemingly scared of him. He knew Hanbin acted this way with everyone even with Jungkook around but it was different for Taehyung as the boy was going to be his stepson sooner or later. And he didn't want the eight-year-old to feel forced to be In Taehyung's life because that would only push him away more but he also wanted the boy to get used to him and form a — at least — decent bond with him. 

The designer glanced at the timid boy through the rearview mirror. Hanbin was sitting with his entire body rigid, looking as though he was on the verge of breaking down. His chest rose and fell somewhat rapidly and Taehyung worried he was about to have either a panic attack or an anxiety attack.

"Hanbin," Taehyung said making the boy flinch slightly. Taehyung sighed and looked back at the road. "You know I would never hurt you, right?"

He didn't make any movement that indicated he was listening to Taehyung but instead opted for looking down at his knees and moving just a bit closer to the door. Taehyung barely caught the movement.

"I know you don't believe me or trust me right now, but I can easily promise you that I would never do anything bad to you — you're Jungkook's son and I love your dad with every inch of my heart and even so, I would never harm a child.

"I uh...I understand that what you went through was awful, terrible, and just traumatic as hell but I've noticed your progression with Jungkook and I know I'm pushing it, but at some point, I really wish you will open up to me one day. Because, if I'm going, to be honest with you, I don't ever plan to leave you, Chanwoo, or your dad and I love you all dearly and I want you to know what it feels like to have another parent to love you just as much as Jungkook does now because I know that you went through...through hell with that other man and I can definitely promise you that none of that will happen with me. You want to know how I can promise you all of this?"

The designer glanced up at the rearview mirror to see if he would get a reaction from the eight-year-old. He smiled when Hanbin glanced up through his overgrown bangs, lifting his head just a bit to see better.

He stopped behind a car at the stoplight before leaning over and opening the glove department and reaching in. He grabbed a black bag with the words '𝓡.𝓜 𝓙𝓮𝔀𝓮𝓵𝓼 ' on the front in white. He quickly took the box out of the small bag before turning to hand it to Hanbin, being careful not to touch his hand.

"Do you know what it is?" He asked as the boy opened it.

He held it carefully in his small, slightly shaking hands as he frowned at the impressive jewel sitting up comfortably in its respective spot in the black velvet box. His frown disappeared and he looked up at Taehyung before nodding.

"Do I have your approval?" He asked as someone honked behind him to make him move. Taehyung fought against the urge to hold his middle finger out of his window as it would be bad publicity.

He waited for Hanbin's response, periodically glancing up at the mirror in hopes to see something that would mean a yes. Hanbin kept his eyes glued to the gorgeous diamond in the soft cushion of the box, not sparing Taehyung a glance.

Roughly ten minutes went by and Taehyung sighed as they began to near Jungkook's neighbourhood.

Just as he was about to ask Hanbin for the box back, he heard the box snap shut followed by a soft voice.

"Yes."

---

Word Count: 1002

Had to give you guys some soft, fluffy fluff as a reward for making through the war in this book 🥺🥺🥺🥺

1 or 2 chapters left!!!!

What do you guys really want to see before this part ends? I can try to merge it into the chapters (if I can). I plan to write a chapter where Tae is talking about his deceased wife with JK as someone asked if Tae still loves his wife.

And what do you guys want to see in part 4? It may help me develop the plot better for that part.

I haven't quite decided on how I'm going to execute part 4 (or if it'll even be considered a part). I might just treat it as extras or it'll just be a really short part. I have a lot of ideas for it (especially the "climax") but I'm not quite sure how I want to end it. So as soon as this part ends, don't expect immediate updates for part 4 as I need to figure out what I'mma do for it.