Chapter Twenty-Eight

Be sure to answer the question at the end, please 😀❤✌

---

"You got lucky," the old officer had said. "Things usually don't end this well."

Jungkook got lucky.

Jungkook got lucky.

But things weren't well.

When Jungkook arrived at the hospital the first person he was greeted by was a very concerned Taehyung followed by an equally concerned but also uncomfortable Seokjin. Taehyung had briefly explained what happened: when they found Hanbin, how they found him, and what they did. Seokjin told the younger man not to worry too much about the media and that he'll try to handle it, he agreed with Taehyung that he'll explain in as little as possible what happened to keep the press off their backs but with Minsun still in the public, he could only try his best.

Jungkook had barely listened to anything they had said as the agent that was at his house earlier along with a doctor finally came to drag him away. They had guided him down a long corridor before stopping him. This was where they proceeded to explain Hanbin's situation — the same as Taehyung's explanation but in greater detail.

"How we cope with trauma is different for everyone," the doctor had explained.

"He's not talking to anyone right now," the agent then said, "so if he doesn't talk to you, don't push it. If he doesn't answer three questions then stop asking and just talk to him."

"I suggest therapy," the doctor quickly stated before Jungkook could move towards the door. "Quickly. You can let his doctor refer him to a counsellor and he can go to counselling to be assessed and they can send him to a child psychiatrist or you can just hire a child therapist or psychologist. This isn't something that he can sleep off and it'll take patience. He's only six so this can detrimental to his mental health."

Jungkook nodded, taking his words into great consideration and holding onto them. He had thanked the two agents before rushing into the room.

Hanbin was curled up in the centre of the bed. He had already been staring at the door when Jungkook walked in.

Jungkook's body turned cold when his eyes rested on his six-year-old. He looked terrible and sick; worse then he ever has in his six years of life even when they were living with Minsun.

"Hanbin—" Jungkook whispered but before he could get the rest of his words out, Hanbin did something that shattered Jungkook's heart worse than when he was gone.

He turned away. Hanbin turned his entire body to face the opposite direction so his back was to Jungkook. And they stayed that way for what felt like forever.

Eventually, Hanbin started talking to the doctors but not Jungkook. They and the police questioned him with Jungkook's permission. He wouldn't let them take his clothes off, he wouldn't even let Jungkook. He loosely and very vaguely explained how he got to the highway but someone made the mistake of asking about his time with Minsun. Hanbin then shut himself down again and stopped responding to their questions.

They were discharged after that. Hanbin still wasn't talking to Jungkook, he wouldn't even look at him. He kept his arms wrapped tightly around his chest and stared down at the ground as they walked. The action made Jungkook's heart hurt but he was told to make no moves of trying to physically connect with him again and to take small steps. One of the special agents in the FBI had told him there was a possibility that Hanbin felt Jungkook wasn't looking for him and that "failed" 911 call could've proven it for him.