Chapter Seventeen

When Jungkook crashed down onto his couch, the weight of his entire situation seemingly crashed down with him. Everything was going well for him so of course, something had to ruin his happiness. His abusive ex-boyfriend found a way to crawl back into his and their kids' lives after almost three years of being apart, he doesn't have his kids right now, he was in so much pain, what else could go wrong?

He broke down into tears, burying his face in his hands and ignoring the pain the pressure on the bruises caused. His stomach sucked in and made his sides and chest hurt as his shoulders shook with each pitiful sob that escaped his throat. It was as though he's been holding this back and now that he doesn't know what his next step is, he can't run from the stress so the stress finally caught up to him.

Jungkook cried for what felt like an eternity until he finally stopped, deciding that crying wasn't going to get him anywhere. His children were safe and that's all that mattered; he knew Jimin and Namjoon wouldn't let anything happen to his boys and Minsun had no idea where they lived, what car they drove — hell, he probably didn't even remember their names. Plus, Minsun had to be really stupid to do anything while their kids were with Namjoon considering Namjoon worked for the FBI.

Was he a bad parent for not involving the authorities?

Jungkook sat back on his couch as that question popped up in his mind. He knew how twisted their justice system was and if he involved the police and took Minsun to the court that Minsun could just bend the judge to his will. He remembered when Minsun got in trouble for alleged drug paraphernalia, everything was true but the model didn't spend even a second behind bars. He had bribed the judge and persuaded him to let him go and even paid big media to tell people he was innocent to clear his record. Jungkook had a lot of money too, not as much as Minsun, but he didn't have those types of connections and ways to get out of trouble. If Jungkook took Minsun to court, all Minsun had to do was snap his fingers and fight Jungkook for custody of their kids — or split custody since he didn't seem to want anything to do with Chanwoo — and Hanbin will be his. 

Jungkook cursed as more negative thoughts plagued his mind. He raked his fingers through his hair as the urge to cry again picked at the back of his throat and made his chest feel heavy. He fought the urge as he pushed himself to stand up, cringing as pain surged through his back and shoulder blades from being tossed around the night before.

His house was silent. All the TVs were off, the A/C wasn't even making any noises, it was unnerving. Jungkook was used to noise, he can't remember the day he's never not been around noise; when he was working, he was moving around humming or listening to music and all the TVs were on and when he wasn't working, he had his two boys to keep him busy.

The silence only made his situation more real and hard to accept.

With a shaky sigh, Jungkook stood up from the couch and walked into his dark kitchen. All his lights were off and the setting sun cast a golden hui and gave his kitchen a warm aura that you'd see on aesthetic Google images. As he reached for his phone that was charging on the counter beside his microwave, he leaned over and peaked out of his window.

Nothing was out of the ordinary. Everyone was in their house and there were no suspicious or unfamiliar cars. The only people outside was a man jogging was already passing the fourth house down from Jungkook's, a kid near Hanbin's age playing in the yard of the house diagonal to his and another man watching him.

He slowly pushed himself away from the window before grabbing his phone and unlocking it. He had blocked the private number and erased the message but he was still unnerved by it. How did Minsun get his phone number if Taehyung didn't give it to him? Jungkook shook his head as he went to his contacts. He tapped on Jimin's name and walked back into his living room as he waited for the older man to answer.