Chapter Twenty-Five

Jungkook blinked several times as he tried to focus on something. His vision was blurry and the only thing he could see was green. Finally, he was able to make out his shoes: black, expensive-looking dress shoes. He blinked a few more times so see his black pants and pale hands dangling lifelessly beside his thighs. His left hand tightly clutched paper with a plastic covering. He lifted it up and looked at it. His breath hitched.

"In loving memory of Kang Hanbin," it read with a picture of six-year-old Hanbin in the corner. Jungkook's breath hitched and he looked up, taking in his surroundings. He was standing in the back of an out-door funeral. Rows and rows of black seats were placed in front of him and all of them were occupied by someone dressed in black. Everyone faced the front and the only person standing in the back was Jungkook.

Jungkook took a step forward and everyone turned to face him. He recognized none of the faces. They whispered but Jungkook couldn't hear them properly. He continued walking down the aisle towards the open casket. He glanced from left to right at all the people eyeing him with nothing but anger and disgust. He focused on two people sitting in the front: a man and a woman — his parents. They haven't changed since the day he left them. That's when he heard what they were saying.

"Lousy father."
"Terrible parent."
"Take his children."
"Sorry excuse for a father."
"A bad son and a terrible father."

Jungkook tried to say something but he couldn't, he just kept walking towards the casket until he was just a few feet in front of it. The whispering stopped as Jungkook leaned to look into the casket.

It was empty.

Jungkook turned to face the crowd but no one was there, the seats were empty. Jungkook burst into tears, clutching his chest as he turned to face the empty casket again. He found himself staring at a tombstone, the tips of his shoes barely touching the area where the hole was dug. The tombstone read "In Loving Memory Of a Beautiful Soul Gone Too Soon".

"WHY!?" Someone yelled behind him.

Jungkook whirled around only to be face to face with Chanwoo; a much older Chanwoo, but Jungkook knew it was him. He was taller than Jungkook with the same curly hair and features. He looked like he was around his teens and he wore a loose-fitting uniform. What threw Jungkook off and made him stumble back was the hatred on Chanwoo's expression, his hands in tight fists by his sides.

"WHY DID YOU LET THEM TAKE HIM?!" Chanwoo yelled, "WHY ARE YOU SUCH A SHITTY PARENT?!"

Jungkook couldn't do anything but stand there but he felt his heart cracking with each syllable the older Chanwoo spat.

"I fucking hate you." Was the last thing Chanwoo said.

---

Jungkook gasped, sitting up straight as a board in his bed. His heart slammed against his chest and he struggled to catch his breath. He ran his fingers through his hair and pushed his palms against his eyes. He looked over at Chanwoo who was soundly sleeping beside him, tiny hands tightly gripping the back of Jungkook's shirt.

"I'm so sorry," he whispered, running his fingers through his youngest's hair. He leaned down and pressed a kiss against Chanwoo's small button nose. He rested his forehead against Chanwoo's. He sighed and sat up in his bed, repeating to himself that it was all just a dream. He needed to get up and go downstairs to sit with the two FBI agents just in case Minsun called. They had told him to go to sleep early in the morning — around three — after figuring Minsun wasn't going to call the rest of the night. They weren't sure if Minsun was stalking Jungkook, but if he was then he would know Jungkook's schedule: Jungkook always woke up at six in the morning.