Chapter 1

"I won't allow you to find a work in the city Fleur! You already have a job here and we still have savings for your brother's operation. You don't need to—" I can't help but to cut my mother.

"Mom, you know that I don't have enough income. I'm just a freelance writer and I have to earn enough money to support you and brother. And the savings we have wasn't enough for brother's surgery. We need an enormous amount of money for that. Just allow me to work in the city, please? Also, there's a lot of opportunity there." I'm now begging my mother so I could convince her.

We're now in the hospital, outside the room of my brother. He was here since last night because he got involved into a serious car accident. The police are still investigating pertaining to the actual cause of my brother's accident.

Meanwhile, my brother was suffering from back injuries and the doctor advised us that he needs to undergo an operation as soon as possible. But unfortunately we don't have enough money for that... And my mom won't just let me find a job in the city...

I heard my mom letting out a heavy sigh, "Y-You know that it's too dangerous in the city Fleur. Y-You knew that your f-father died in a car accident in the city, then now your brother," she said and sadness was in her voice. I suddenly felt sad remembering my dad.

"I k-know that we moved here in the province because of what happened to dad, but brother's case was different. H-He said that there's a c-car chasing him—" mom didn't let me finish.

"That's it! Someone was chasing him and wants him to die! So no! You won't! I c-can't risk your life, Fleur. Look what happened to your stubborn brother! I told him to find a job here, not in the city, but he keeps it a secret from us. He didn't tell us that his job was in the city. He disobeyed me then this happened to him," I know she doesn't like me working in the city... But I still have to convince her...

"If you don't want me to work in the city, then can you tell me why dad d-died? If what happened to him was a car accident, then why do we have to avoid the city? Why you won't let us to work in the city?" I asked. I really want to know the real reason why mom doesn't want us to go in the city. That she's always avoiding the topic whenever I asked her what really happened to dad. I know it wasn't just a simple accident...

"I-It's just a c-car accident. Just please don't be stubborn like your brother Fleur," mom said firmly, then already went inside the room.

I can't help but to let out a deep sigh. Mom really won't let me go to work in the city...

I'm still so young that time when my father died. I was too young when I lost him. Everything was normal before, we once lived in the city but when my dad died in a car accident, mom moved in the province with us. To live in the province and forget about our life in the city before. To live normally here...

I get my phone and dialed Landon's number. My boy best-friend who lived in the city. I've known him for almost 17 years and even if we don't see each other for more than a year now, we still have a strong communication. But our meet ups were secrets because mom won't allow me.

As soon as he answered my call, I immediately say something to him. "I know it's still too early b-but I-I need you,"

"Fuck! Where are you? Are you alright? D-Did something bad happened to you?!" I heard him shouting a little. I guess he didn't even care if I called him early in the morning. I can't help but to smile. I'm lucky that this man is my best friend.

"I'm at the hospital—" he interrupted me.

"Shit! What happened to you?! Is that why you aren't answering my calls last night?!" he's overreacting! He didn't even let me finish!

The Cruel Twist of Destiny ✓जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें