Chapter 26

_
AS SOON as dad left my office; I suddenly felt that my heart went into my throat. I don't know if I can face his daughters. And I don't fucking know if they will accept someone like me!

I'm the bastard of the Welsch, so I'm not sure if they can treat me as their brother, as their half-brother. But I guess the only thing I can do is to meet them and see if they can welcome me as what their mother did.

An audible sigh escapes my lips when I remembered that I'm not just meeting one, but I have to ready my fucking self in facing three.

But I have to lower my expectation because I know they might differ from Auntie Fely, who didn't have a hard time to accept me as if I was really her own child.

After dozing off, I heard my phone ringing and when I looked at who's the caller; I felt like someone harshly poured a bucket of cold water into my face.

Without hesitation, I answered it instantly while I fucking heard that my heart can come out into my damn chest anytime. "Mom," I mumbled. It's been a while since she called me and the last time I talked to her didn't turn well since she wants me to break my engagement with Freya... And now, I did what she wants because Freya wasn't really the woman who I fall and defended from her.

Mom's usual bitter tone filled my ears. "You surely knew how to surprise me, son."

My brows furrowed on what she has said and before I could say something, she already cut me off by her words. "I already warned you before that you can't involve yourself in any Monthe... But you really won't listen to me."

Now I finally understood what her call was for. I sighed and explained to mom. "Don't worry, mom. I won't involve myself in any Monthe anymore... I already cut ties with Freya like what you've wanted."

And when I thought that saying those words to her will make her at ease, I was wrong when she yells at me on the phone.

"Of course cutting ties with Freya is what I wanted, but you just put yourself into more something serious, Vaughn! You never listened to me, don't you?! And what are you talking about that you're not anymore involved with the Monthe?!"

Letting a heavy sigh, I keep my voice calm while answering mom. "I don't know why you think I put myself in a more complicated situation, mom, but I swear I'm not with Freya anymore–"

Mom cuts me off by her sudden laugh. "Yeah, sure you already distance yourself with Freya since she's not the one you're with, right?"

"W-What are talking about, mom?" She didn't know about Fleur, right? There's no fucking way that she knew her since Fleur doesn't live here in the city.

I heard mom let a sarcastic laugh like I asked a stupid question. "Do you think I wouldn't know why you suddenly broke your engagement with Freya without telling me any valid reason besides that it's what I wanted? Don't take your mother as a fool, son."

Even if I had a damn clue on why mom was acting like this, I still kept my cool and filter every word that will come out into my mouth. I can't still tell her about Fleur since I know that she'll disagree again once she will see Fleur's face.

"I don't know what you were talking about, mom."

"Keep on denying, Vaughn... But from what I saw earlier, I don't think your Fleur will still stay by your side–" now I can't help but to cut my mom's words.

"H-How did you knew her?!" I can't control my emotion and raised my tone at mom. I heard that she just chuckled at me.

Then seconds of waiting for my mom's voice to answer my question, she ended the call instead of. Damn it!