Chapter 7

I sat staring out of the window for most of the first class, only speaking when forced. Most of the time, it was when Brenda was throwing things at me. Caleb signed to me. "What's her deal?"

I shrugged and went back to watching the clouds until the bell rang. Caleb caught me before I could escape. "The door works fine."

I scowled at him, but followed regardless. We navigated the hallways until I was pulled back. "So, you clearly have a voice. You use it plenty to humiliate me."

I blinked at Brenda but made no comment. "What's your name?"

I looked at Caleb and tried to leave only to be pushed. I stumbled forward and into a body, I gasped as it sent an unfamiliar feeling through me. I felt an arm wrap around me and damn near panicked as I tried to push them away. "Leave her alone, Brenda."

I froze. "Why? She thinks she's too good to speak to anyone besides those two boys that came with her."

I tried to get out of his hold, looking around for Caleb or Xavier. I finally saw one and reached for him.  Xavier pulled me to him, glaring at Ezekiel. He wrapped an arm around me and led me away from the scene. I saw Caleb being held back and stopped my brother to go get him.

I looked him over, and he grabbed my hands. "I'm fine... let's just go to class."

I raised my eyebrows, and Xavier gently took my arm. "No, and stay out of trouble until lunch."

I sighed but followed behind him to class, which all droned on. I couldn't even focus on composing because my mind kept wandering back to the shock hitting his body caused. Also, the fact that I felt safe when I knew it was him. This is strange indeed...

***
Where I was distressed all first period, I was pissed until lunch. Brenda was purposely trying to start something with the girl and I had to step in.  A small smile played at my lips as I remembered how she felt in my arms, I could've let her go, but part of me didn't want to.

Then, her brother saved her, and she went to get the other boy, I really need to learn their names. The small one I knew was in the pack, at least. I couldn't help but notice they practically had to drag her away, but from what? She was entirely too small to fight.

I sighed, and William waved his hands in front of my face. "Earth to E."

I frowned at him. "What?"

He looked worried. "You haven't been yourself, man... everything okay?"

I pursed my lips as an idea dawned on me. "Yeah, but I won't be around for lunch."

He had a curious look in his eyes. "You'll only get her in more trouble if you keep this up."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Mind your business."

He sighed and shook his head. "Just trying to help you out, her too, if you don't want her in Brenda's crosshairs."

***

I breathed in fresh air gratefully when I finally made it to the roof. Caleb and Xavier went to find food and would meet me before class. I looked around and saw a good way to climb on the ledge above the door and went to sit on it before pulling out my notebook.

I looked down and frowned when I heard the door open. Ezekiel looked around briefly before looking confused. I tilted my head as I watched him furrow his brow before walking around the structure I was on. "Even higher than yesterday... impressive."

I jumped and glared at him, now behind me. "Sorry... about startling you... and Brenda." He looked at my ears. "At least you can hear me now." I rolled my eyes and put my things away, dropping my bag to the ground. "Wait..."