Chapter 23

I slid into a barstool.  "So... Ezekiel may have almost bit me and we freaked out."

My mother whirled around.  "What?"

"What does that mean?"

She frowned.  "Bit you where?"

I tilted my head getting a feel for my wolves emotions.  "My neck..."

She paused then glared as the door opened.  "I think you need to leave."

I turned and saw she was looking directly at Ezekiel.

"I didn't me-"

Her nostrils flared.  "But you would have..."

I sat back and watched the exchange with interest, now I was really curious.  "I wasn't thinking."

"She's 14!  You would have marked her for the Season and she is not of age."

He lowered his gaze and Xavier tensed.  "Marked her?  What does that mean?"

Toni sighed.  "Would have made her his partner for the Season..."

My eyebrows shot up and the same rage that took over earlier was painted over my twins features.  "Yeah... you need to go."

Ezekiel looked at us in dismay.  "It wasn't intentional..."

Toni pat his shoulder.  "Just go and come back after they cool down.  Get your mind right while you're at it."

He looked at me, eyes full of sadness and regret.  "I'm sorry..."

I smirked as my wolf was now settled and she enjoyed mischief as much I did, I signed.  "May want to find some girl to relieve your frustrations.  And that is not I."

His eyes widened before he scowled and turned to leave.  "Whatever..."

When the door closed my mother tapped the counter angrily.  "This isn't a game Violet, being marked by an Alpha or any man really means you are his for the Season."

I sighed.  "So I have to stop teasing him, we were enjoying that bit."

She clenched her fists.  "What?"

I tilted my head.  "We were on the roof when it hit him... I told him I wouldn't participate for this time or the next.  I have no interest in being controlled by carnal desires."

She blinked.  "But you tease him.  Why?"

I crossed my eyes, thinking.  "He's been on my tail since I first went to that school... now he is barely in control.  I don't know... seeing the way it messes with him is entertaining."

She sighed.  "So you don't feel any different than before?"

I tilted my head.  "Should I?"

She smiled softly.  "Being an Alpha... things happen a little differently, but you don't seem to at that point so..."

"Explain anyway."

She sighed.  "I don't know how really, but I think he thinks your his mate."  I looked at her curiously.  "A mate is like what others call a soulmate, but wolves usually recognize theirs instantly when they are of age."

I laughed.  "Like star crossed lovers or something?"

She frowned.  "This is no laughing matter."  I chastened.  "It's very real, the bond between mates is unbreakable, it's like they become one person.  They literally will live and die for each other."

I felt my wolf roll her eyes.  "Yeah... we have no interest in such a thing."

She nodded.  "But one day you will need to find them... or you will weaken as an Alpha."

I narrowed my eyes.  "Give me a timeline on this."

She shrugged.  "I don't know, every wolf is different."

"So how am I any different?"

She thought for a moment.  "If Caleb's or Xavier's mate were to walk in this room a year from now... they would know as soon as they saw them and likewise for the other party.  But you... probably not, especially being as stubborn as you are."

I pursed my lips.  "Love at first sight, how poetically tragic."

Toni chuckled.  "Exactly..."

I looked between them.  "You don't seem as effected by the Season as the kids at school..."

Toni nodded.  "Because we're older and have learned to control our urges."

I tilted my head.  "So... dad wasn't your mate?"

She shook her head sadly.  "He was murdered... before we could finish the mating ritual."

Xavier coughed.  "Ritual?  There's a whole ritual?"

She giggled.  "Yes, but if we had finished, you two wouldn't be here now."

"Why?"

"Because mates are two halves of the same whole... when one dies, the other withers away and follows."

I raised my eyebrows.  "Yep... I want nothing to do with that, but why would he think it's me?"

She shrugged.  "I'm no Alpha, but he feels an attraction to you, neither will be certain until your first run."

Xavier sat beside me.  "Run?"

She looked between us.  "Is exactly what it sounds like, but in wolf form.  You go somewhere secluded and run... it's kind of like a chase."

We exchanged a glance and Toni put a hand on my shoulder.  "Yeah... that puts an end to racing until the Season is over."

I nodded and looked down at myself.  "This traitor tried to set me up for failure, glad I didn't give in."  My wolf was half smug, half guilty.

My mother took my hands in hers.  "You need to avoid him for the rest of the Season."

I glowered at her.  "And how do you suggest that?  I've been trying to avoid him since day one."

Caleb sat awkwardly.  "So I guess that means no fair tonight?"

Xavier gaped.  "That's tonight?"

I rolled my eyes.  "All week... I'll pass, enough people tried touching me in school today."

Xavier looked at me pleading.  "Please... it'll be fun."

"No, Zay, go with Caleb or meet up with your friends."

He sighed.  "Fine... but what will you be doing?"

I smiled.  "I have an idea."

***

Like a whipped puppy I walked out of her house and she wasn't even mad anymore.  She was enjoying my torture and even suggested that I find someone else.  As I was wallowing in my self pity I heard voices float outside.  I sat under the window like the good stalker I had become and listened as she basically said she had no interest in being mated.  My heart was crushed while my wolf just rolled his eyes.

She also confirmed she liked to mess with me, but I was okay with that.  It meant she felt that even on the edge of my control she felt safe.  Then the fair came up, I was delighted she wouldn't go, but it did make me wonder what she would be doing in the meantime.