Chapter 33

I padded into the kitchen and found my mom cooking. "Couldn't sleep?"

She threw a smile over her shoulder. "Never could the first night in a new place."

I nodded. "Sorry about today."

She sighed. "It was bound to happen, but you do need to be more careful."

I pursed my lips. "I know and it sucks."

"Finally you listen to reason."

I scowled. "You're still talking."

Xaviet laughed. "You don't scare me."

I shook my head and he put on some music. "May as well break this place in properly."

He laughed. "Definitely."

"Started already?"

I smirked. "You know we don't stay down long." I hopped over the counter and danced around my mom. "Come on, Chloé. You know you wanna."

She laughed. "You two..." She took my hands and Xavier joined us as we danced around the kitchen. I pulled in my uncle to dance too and he chuckled. Every so often one of us checked the food as we had our own mini party.

When it finished we twirled around getting it on the table. I missed this, we only had nights like this when dad went missing for a bit, but now, we were free. I felt something in the air and ignored it, continuing to laugh and play with my loved ones.

We finally got everything on the table and ate, talking about the places we've been and the people in them. It was nice, being able to breathe if only for a brief moment. My mom sat back. "So..."  I looked at her. "We aren't the only ones... per say. There are others who drifted away after everything with your dad."

I exchanged a glance with Xavier. "What?"

Toni sighed. "We're still small, probably the smallest bunch of wolves there is... but they exist."

I sat back. "Uh... I can barely keep myself under control right now, what in the hell do you want me to do with more people?"

My mom giggled. "You are doing just fine."

Xavier crossed his arms. "We can't just bring them here..."

Toni nodded. "We know and they don't want to stay long they just... want to pay their respects and show their support."

I furrowed my brow. "Pretty sure that's not how this works. All of the pack here, is here. They kinda stick together."

The adults nodded and my mother took my hands. "I knows it's a lot, but after your father began to treat you as he did... they felt they couldn't stay without causing a rebellion."

I sighed. "Okay so... what are you two saying... thinking... I'm at a loss."

My mom smiled, relieved. "Just a get together... outside of this territory."

I pursed my lips. "The sex driven men here are quite enough."

Toni laughed. "We know... after the Season has ended."

I crossed my arms. "And after... a pack is weaker spread out like this." They exchanged a glance and I felt a chill go down my spine. "We won't be staying here will we?"

She lowered her gaze. "No, when the time is right we will find a territory of our own, hopefully."

I bit my lip. "That... makes sense."

She squeezed my hands. "I know it's a lot..."

I chuckled and stood. "Nope, not at all. May I be excused?"

Toni searched my face. "We're not saying right now, Kid."

I nodded. "I understand that, and that... it's been what around a month or so now when we found out we were wolves and I an Alpha, oh and that apperently I have this whole thing going on during the Season where guys won't leave me alone, not to mention that there are others that I'm apparently responsible for... and the perfect icing to that fucked up cake, we finally found a place that we all like and may have begun to thought would be home, but nope that's gone too. So pardon me if I'm not overjoyed with everything that's going on right now."

Xavier caught my arm as I turned to leave. "Vi..."

I smiled at him sadly. "Just... give me a few hours, days, months? Really not sure yet."

He sighed. "Take your time, Sis."

I tied my hair up as I walked out and made a beeline for the tallest structure I could find. I looked around the tower for a good foot hold, then started to climb. I had to pause a few times to find the best or most stable way to get higher, but I managed to make it to the top. I heaved a breath as I sat and looked over the property.

My mind and heart swirled as I thought about everything. I didn't mind being a wolf, even enjoyed it, but everything that came with finding out... was less than desirable. I preferred being invisible, now that was impossible, especially during the Season as things stood.

I closed my eyes, getting a feel for my wolf, she felt the same as me about there being more of us. We were afraid, after everything that has happened in this short time we were terrified when things were just getting normal. At the same time... we were excited, we had a pack, though we had to figure out this whole Alpha thing and had no clue what we were doing, it felt right.

I sighed and sat back on my hands. "We never did quite fit here after all... or anywhere really. Not when we weren't allowed to be ourselves." A sadness still washed over us when thought about leaving everything here behind. "We'll just have to tackle it... one thing at a time."

***

Out of habit more than anything I went to check on Violet.  Any anger I still held for what happened quickly dissipated as I saw her dancing and joking around with her family.  She looked happy and somehow despite everything it made me happy.  I saw her eyes flash as she sensed me, but ignored it.  So, I let her enjoy herself, she needed it.

It was short lived as the conversation got serious and her clear eyes clouded.  I wanted them to stop, I wanted her happy again, but I knew there was nothing I could do.  There were others, they wanted to meet and be with their Alpha.  I bit lip as I came to the conclusion they had already made for her.  They would leave, for their pack, they would need a place of their own.

I was crushed, after everything, no matter how hard I tried to hold on, she would still slip through my fingers.  I swallowed the lump in my throat as she strung together more words than I ever heard her speak.  Still, she never raised her voice, but the hurt, anger, and fear was laced into every syllable.  I felt it from where I stood, so I know those around her were damn near terrified if she lost it.

Could they blame her?  It was so much in a short time and she was only 14.  I hated them all, they didn't care anything for how she felt or what it all meant if she was to leave.  She left them and I followed wanting to comfort her, but no words I could say would fix any of this.  She found a tower and started to climb.

I didn't stop her, I knew she would be fine or maybe... I was hoping she would find a way to prolong her stay, but as fast as she healed in the garden that was hopeless.  She made it to the top and just sat looking at the sky.  I saw her lips move, but from this distance only whoever was watching her from the sky would hear her.

I sat under a tree to watch her.  I knew she wasn't suicidal by any measure, but one misstep and I would need to be here, just in case.  So I sat and watched my mate staring at the sky as though it held all the answers.  She was beautiful, she was strong, and she was lost to me.