Chapter 26

"If it isn't the little freak."  I kept walking.  "Did Ezekiel finally ditch you?"  I reached over and pulled Xavier's ear to keep him from responding.  "I see he hasn't marked you... he did me the first day last Season."

I pursed my lips.  "Everyone can't be a slut."

Caleb coughed and signed.  "That's mean."

I side-eyed him.  "It's true..."

He sighed.  "I'm not looking forward to next year."

I shrugged.  "It is what it is."  I marked when I felt her directly behind me, hoping she'd try something.  Xavier tensed.  "Relax..."

I felt my hair shift.  "Brenda..."

I frowned.  "Always spoiling my fun.  Told you he'd follow."

Xavier relaxed a fraction.  "Good, we can't go around fighting with their pack."

I rolled my eyes.  "Why must you be right?"

It sounded like she walked in the opposite direction.  "Ezekiel... you haven't chosen a partner, I hope."

I tilted my head when my wolf shifted.  "I have actually."

I'm going to need you to calm down.  She whined.  We agreed, we're not participating.  She huffed, but forced me to listen.  "Who?"  Brenda sounded upset.

"It's none of your concern.  Leave her alone."

"Why?  She doesn't have your mark, it's not her."

"You were about to disobey my order from the banquet."

"I... no."

"Good, enjoy your evening."

I peeked at Xavier.  "Maybe he'll leave me alone too."

"Don't get your hopes up."

I sighed.  "A girl can dream."

***

I felt that we were being followed by countless men.  Damn this girl, her brother, and her scent.  I growled warning others away before wrapping my jacket around her, she only agreed because her brother told her to, making me angrier.

I fell back keeping a close eye on them to make sure they weren't ambushed.  My heart sank as a man stood in front of their house.  They moved quick by the time he figured out who she was the door was locked and I saw movement in all the windows.  Good, now to get rid of him...

***

As we walked home, to say Xavier was right was an understatement.  I could feel others behind us, a lot of others.  "Tread carefully..."

I was on high alert.  "I know."

I heard a low growl behind us and felt the others freeze.  "I guess... it's good he followed?"

Xavier frowned.  "Yeah..."

I felt him behind me and warmth wrap around me.  I pulled at the jacket, but he tightened it around me speaking into my ear.  "Trust me... wear until you are in your house, lock everything."

I glanced back as my wolf began to settle again.  I paused, seeing his eyes were crimson and his tension.  "Why?"

He frowned.  "Please, just do it."

I looked at Xavier who nodded.  "Whatever..."  We continued and I felt as the other wolves began to fall back.  I pursed my lips.  "I feel like he's marking his territory."

Xavier sighed.  "But it's getting you home safe.  Just like it helped in the garden."

I nodded and looked at Caleb who had a small smile on his lips.  "What?"